What to get for my Pekin Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Drucrazy3, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Drucrazy3

Drucrazy3 New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    I am new to raising ducks, and I hear Pekins were the best to get. I don't know what to get them, and where I can get them. My local pet store sells Pekins in the spring, so I don't know if they would supply me with food and equipment. Any help?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You'll get so many more responses if you have a mod move this to the duck section, but I'll help as best I can [​IMG]

Before you bring your ducklings home, make sure you have a nice warm brooder waiting for them. You'll want to make sure you pick up a game bird or waterfowl feed, corn and chicken feed don't contain the necessary vitamins and minerals to keep waterfowl in top shape. For example, they need niacin or they can develop twisted legs and feet. You'll also want to make sure their drinker is deep enough for them to clean their sinuses in. They dabble in the mud and dirt (yes, even in the brooder. Don't have mud or dirt? Don't worry, they'll manage to make some).

Be very careful letting your duckling swim, they can drown! Yes, seriously, ducks can drown. No unsupervised swim time until they have their adult feathers. A momma suck supplies her duckling with oil, they get it when they rub up against her feathers. That oil makes them waterproof. Without it, they become water logged and the worst happens. Unless you can supply the necessary oils, keep a watchful eye.

Oh, and we may have differing opinions as far as pekins being the best breed. Personally I prefer calls [​IMG]

Duck are cute and very funny, I think you'll enjoy them! Good luck!

3. Drucrazy3

Drucrazy3 New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Thanks for replying, I reported this so hopefully a moderator will move it. I have all the basics down, know what they do, and a inside and outside setup is already made. I just don't know what kind of food to buy.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    This stuff is great:

http://www.amazon.com/Manna-Pro-Chick-Starter-Medicated/dp/B003AEXOEW

My ducks and chickens loved it. You must get the non-medicated mixed flock starter, tho, as the medicated will harm ducks.

When the ducks were a few weeks old I started transitioning them to Mazuri Waterfowl ground to crumbles in the blender, then full pellets when they were grown.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by