what to look for in a duck?

albird101

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
I'm getting two pekin ducks today from someone on craigslist I was wondering what to look for in a healthy duck and signs that show the duck is sick thanks

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. You should post this on our duck section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your Pekin ducks.

I would suppose it's a lot like evaluating any poultry, no coughing, no discharge from eyes, nose, ears, mouth. No bald patches, red, inflamed skin. You'd look for a natural stance, not favoring any leg, wings that match on both sides, not one drooping or carried differently. No obvious sores, punctures, . You can also post on the ducks thread on BYC. Know what the breed should look like. Good luck in getting a healthy duck.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Drumstick Diva X3 And definitely stop by our Ducks section to ask our Duck experts!

Good luck and I hope you can find some nice ducks soon!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom