What to look for in a roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mommysongbird, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Some of you have seen my post about trying to get rid of some of our roos but we would like to keep 1 and I was wondering what should I look for in that one roo?

They are NOT purebred anything, just mutts. We have one that crowed at 5 weeks and he is very pretty, but he seems to be getting pretty aggressive too, so I don't think he will be staying. We have 2 White roos with some black/grey markings on them (we also have a hen like this too). One these roos is larger than the other but he is also more agressive than the other too, so I think he will also be going. Then we have at least 2 EE colored ones (brown/black) and both of them are fairly gentle as long as the other leave them alone. We have 3 EE hens.

So what should I look for in a GOOD ROO?? Also my son may use him for 4-H as well, not sure if he will be allowed to since our chicks are NOT purebred.

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    A good roo should do the following:

He should find the hens treats, and feed them before eating himself.
    He should protect chicks in the flock, and also find them food and feed them
    He should be alert and ready to sound an alarm for predators, instead of just running for shelter without alerting the girls.
    He should break up particularily bad fights between hens in the flock, and shield newcomer hens from too bad of hazing.
    And finally, he should find nice places for hens to lay, and make sure the flock stays together (calling lost hens home, etc).

However, even if a roo should have all of the above traits, if he is human aggressive, get rid of him immediately. He'll make your life miserable, and may convince you that you don't even like chickens.

Additionally, make sure you have given each roo a chance to handle the flock solo. This is EXTREMELY important!!! Roosters that you thought were non-aggressive could have just been held back by a more dominant roo, and turn into an unholy terror once he's solo. Pen the other roos and let them each in turn do their thing alone for the day. Watch him for the above nice traits, and especially watch for him to turn aggressive when he's the only one in charge. It can and DOES commonly happen.

Good luck!

3. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Okay, but what if I don't have a place to put the other roos??

Our black roo seemed to be the dominant roo for many weeks, but now one of our white roos seems to be. Neither of them are aggressive to us (myself, husband or son) but they are toward the other roos.

I don't want to get rid of the wrong roo. Since they are only 11 weeks old I am wondering if it is too soon to tell who will be the 'best'?

Also, none of the roos have EVER let the pullets eat first or find them food, they all take food, like greens from the pullets. My son has to sometimes make the roos stay away while the pullets have some greens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by