What to look for while sexing chicks???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ragerkid2, Apr 25, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    What should I look for when I am sexing my chicks. What age should I start?

2. mlward

mlward Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Tuscarora, NY
    Hmmm, I've been wondering the same thing. Last year was simple; we ordered 8 pullets and that was what we got. This year we got 8 straight run wyandottes and 8 orps. I stare at them and pick them up daily, looking for clues. The wyandottes are approx. 10 weeks and I think I have a couple roos picked out. The orps are approx 6 weeks and maybe I'm missing something, but I think they're all hens. What are the chances of that?! :>[​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Some breeds and strains are born with distinguishing characteristics from day one. It depends completely on which breeds/types you have.

In general, however, the roosters will have larger legs and knock knee look to their walk at 10 weeks. Almost from the beginning, they will be the ones who tend to look up and be alert, because that is their instinct and will be their job one day. They tend to hold themselves more erect, vertical spine. Finally, of course, they tend to get red combs and wattles while the female's remain yellowish and small until 15 weeks when their's too will turn red as they approach the beginning of lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by