What to name them...............

Most of my chickens dont have names.. just a couple of my standards I named that stood out from the rest.. But I remember a character on TV when my daugther was small that I was waiting to use for a Dewlap Toulouse.. You guys might remember... "Plucky Duck"
seeing as how I already have a duck and my daugther named it Lucy I figure I can name my goose Plucky.. hes was so cute and funny...

Oh .. my chickens that are named is
Rosey (but I think everyone has a chicken named Rosey) Black Sex link
Big Mama is a Dark Cornish
Torementor is a Dark Cornish
Little Miss Pretty Tail is a Dominque
a RIR rooster named Big Bob
a Rose Comb Brown Leghorn Rooster named HotRod
a Royal Palm Turkey that I never could think of a name for so I call it Turkel..

16 pullets and 7 cockerals and 9 one yr olds that are nameless

as you can tell they all named themselves..

Most of my Sikies are named after Greek Gods. Athena, Ares, Zeus, Hera, Athena. There are a ton more Greek Gods and heroes, too, if you're into that.
smile.png
Then there's Bell, Gwen, Briar and Dragon. I also have Tom, Whisper, Star and Roo-roo. The rest are named Chicken.
tongue.png

Hey, if they are all roosters you could name them after the 12 Apostles..... Simon, Andrew, James, John, Barthelamew (sp??) James #2, Matthew, Philip, Judas, Simon #2, Thomas and Thaddeus (sp?). Please don't slap me...lol.

One of our Cochins we named "Britches" because of the legs, ya know they do look like they are wearing pants.

We eventually re-named her to "Blue" because it was hard to explain to people that no our 5 year old was not saying her name is "Bit_ _es"

Wish he could say "Britches" I think it is an ideal name for a Cochin!!

Our Cochins names are cute when you say them together "Blue" "Petunia."

Ahhh kids they are creative!

Cartoon characters are always good: my first two were Tom and Jerry. They were named by 3rd graders.
roll.png

Yugioh Characters would be next: Obelisk the Tormentor and Slifer the Sky Dragon were my next two...named by my DS.
roll.png

I actually got to name my last chicken. She's Miss MoneyPenny. So maybe James Bond female character names.

Then there's always Naruto Characters and Pokemon also...
along with Muppets...

Mostly you have to see what they're personalities are like.
But you can also use this...you can use the country of origin of the breeds of your birds. Cochins are from China, so here's some of those to look at:

http://www.20000-names.com/female_chinese_names.htm

I don't really ever think real hard on what to name my chickens. It usually just comes to me. I have names that have nothing to do with anything like my Silkie, Jolene. Then I have FT, which is short for a very foul couple of words, but hey she deserves the name!haha Then I have simple names like Red, for my RIR.

Just see what comes to you.

I've read on this forum that it's practically illegal to name a buff-colored bird "Buffy". It's just TOO easy.

I've also read that old fashioned women's names are good for hens. Like Mildred, Petunia, Prudence, Althea, Myrtle, etc.

Helen
Veronica
Marguerite
DeLoris
Ida
Josephine
Linda
Lillian
Agatha
Agnes
Edna
The first three are names of my neighbours when I was growing up.
The second 2 are my Grandmother and Great Grandmother's names.

I like to mix it up. My nieces Chickens are Chicken and Blackie, too boring. Mine are Red (RIR) from Fraggle Rock and the breed. LaBoot from some show my kids watch and Mindy both EE's. 2 Barred Rocks, Princess Peach (Mario Bros) and Chicken Little (DH's choice , his other choice was dinner). And thats it. Name them whatever you and your family like. Mix it up. Got a rooster you could call him the Colonel.

Back
Top Bottom