what to put down on the floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gretchen, Aug 27, 2007.

1. gretchen

gretchen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2007
    My coop is built with a plywood floor raised off the ground. I have been using straw in the inside of the coop and in the run but it seems so messy, the whole family drags it everywhere in the yard. We have a local cedar lumber store that gives it shavings for free. Is it bad to use cedar? It just seems so clean and nice in comparison to the straw. If cedar is bad what else works? (that isn't too expensive?)

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Yeah, dont use cedar shavings, they are toxic or something. Do they have pine shavings for free also? Use those. hay is good insulator for the winter though....

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I use small wood chips/shavings. You can usually purchase a large bag at the feed mill for $4.00 or so. Also the tractor supply stores sell them. They smell really good and my chickens love them.

4. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    The oil/smell released from cedar will kill any small animal that has to live in/on it.

I killed a guinea pig once that way. Only found out when I took it back to the pet store in tears.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by