What to put in the duck coop??

Cassandragrenr

Songster
Jul 15, 2022
Sweden, södermanland
Hello!! So I'm getting some ducks, and they have to be in their coop for a while, they don't have a run and we'll let them be outside, but only when supervised so they can go swimming in our pond (It's a quarantine coop). What should I put in their coop?? The ducks are Cayugas in one coop and muscovies in another :) They will get a kiddie pool inside their coop, but I don't know what else to put in there!

Hello!! So I'm getting some ducks, and they have to be in their coop for a while, they don't have a run and we'll let them be outside, but only when supervised so they can go swimming in our pond (It's a quarantine coop). What should I put in their coop?? The ducks are Cayugas in one coop and muscovies in another :) They will get a kiddie pool inside their coop, but I don't know what else to put in there!
How big is the coop? How many ducks are there in the coop? Putting a kiddie pool inside is asking for a very wet mess.
My son recently had to confine three ducks to his 8' x 4' coop except when supervised foraging in his garden. I got a walmart ice bucket for one corner of the coop where it stands on hardware cloth over sandy soil. Its big enough for one duck and I have seen 2 squeezing in together!

We use deep rubber feed pans from tractor supply and tubs that came with mixed nuts from Aldi or walmart for drinking water

Attachments

• Walmart party ice bucket.png
    Walmart party ice bucket.png
    212.3 KB · Views: 2
  • molded black rubber feeding pan.jpg
    molded black rubber feeding pan.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Yeah, I agree I wouldn't give them a kiddie pool in their coop either. That's asking for soggy bedding which is going to get moldy. You can let them have a kid pool outside when you supervise them and that'll be fine. They don't need to be able to swim all the time.

I would give them a bowl of food made for ducks they can't tip over (like a sloped dog dish), oyster shell if they are girls of laying age in a bowl they can't tip over, and a bucket of water deep enough that they can stick their entire head into but can't get their bodies into.

Some ducks will play with toys, but most don't. Toys made for birds or chickens sometimes work. My ducks like balls made for cats that you put kibble inside. I put mealworms inside. My ducks play soccer with them.

I only put my ducks inside at night so I keep their barn pretty plain since they are supposed to be sleeping.

How big is the coop? How many ducks are there in the coop? Putting a kiddie pool inside is asking for a very wet mess.
My son recently had to confine three ducks to his 8' x 4' coop except when supervised foraging in his garden. I got a walmart ice bucket for one corner of the coop where it stands on hardware cloth over sandy soil. Its big enough for one duck and I have seen 2 squeezing in together!

We use deep rubber feed pans from tractor supply and tubs that came with mixed nuts from Aldi or walmart for water
4 ducks in one and 2 ducks in the other, but I have no idea how big the coops are.
What else can I put in their coop to keep them entertained? Since they will spend most their time there. We might build a run during the time they're inside there but that'll take a while.

4 ducks in one and 2 ducks in the other, but I have no idea how big the coops are.
What else can I put in their coop to keep them entertained? Since they will spend most their time there. We might build a run during the time they're inside there but that'll take a while.
have you bought the coops yet? You'll need to know how big they are to ensure they're big enough. Is there a reason you cant wait until you have a full set up, before getting the ducks?

have you bought the coops yet? You'll need to know how big they are to ensure they're big enough. Is there a reason you cant wait until you have a full set up, before getting the ducks?
We're just gonna quarentine the ducks for a little while, when that's done they'll go into the main coop.
The 'coop' we're using as a quarentine coop is an old shed, it's perfectly fine and safe for them, I cleaned it out entirely yesterday. + The latest we can get the ducks is today.
I'll measure the coop once i get home :)

My grandmother was the one who bought them, and she already payed for them so I have to take over and care for them till they can get into the main coop.
She thought they could go into the same coop as the muscovies. (Which they can't because the muscovies are 2 months and the cayugas are adults)

My grandmother was the one who bought them, and she already payed for them so I have to take over and care for them till they can get into the main coop.
She thought they could go into the same coop as the muscovies. (Which they can't because the muscovies are 2 months and the cayugas are adults)
Understood. Your muscovy will be able to hold their own with the cayugas when they are 16 weeks old. And may be okay out in a pen with adult ducks during the day at 12 weeks. That depends on how big is the pen and whether there are places for the muscovy to run and hide or perhaps jump up onto -- my muscovy like being up on steps above my pekins. But the muscovy should sleep separately from the cayugas until they are bigger.

Your old shed is likely big enough for quaranting ducks.

We have tried toys for our ducks and the ducks weren't interested. They are curious when out in the garden and will always go and investigate where new plants have been added or old ones cut down. My son recently had a tarp drying over the back of three chairs in his back garden and his ducks were very curious about that. But toys they were not interested in, and a plastic ball with treats inside frightened them.

Back
Top Bottom