What to put on comb?

joe17

Songster
11 Years
Nov 25, 2009
Louisiana
What do y'all put on your chickens comb and face to moisturize it and make it shiny for the shows? Anything I could use that I might have at home on hand? I am getting Vet rx tomorrow if that would work. I hear Vaseline makes the comb flaky and vetrx burns! Are there different types of vetrx?

Everyone has posted good responses so far, and you will find everyone kind of does what works for them.. I like to mix about 2/3 vaseline and 1/3 vicks vapo-rub. That seems to help really redden the face of birds that have been cooped inside for a while that might be loosing a little color.

Thanks for the responses. Does bag balm and vet rx also moisturize their skin? A few of mine have dry faces. Maybe the baby oil would be best for that. Also, can I use all of this stuff on their legs also? Does bag balm or vetrx stain their legs or face a certain color?

Quote:
i like using bag balm because it moisturizes there skin. its made for chaped cow udders and isnt harmful to the bird.
heres my show bird ready for his show the next day. bag balm was used on his feet and comb and face

103601_roo.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom