What to put on top of this hanging feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuntrychick, Oct 29, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
  2. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    good size piece of card board.

3. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    We have a bird feeder cover used to keep squirrels out of them over the top of ours. Could probably pick one up at your local Walmart's or a specialty supply store in your area or even online. Works like a charm for our chicken feeder!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  4. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    A plastic salad bowl from a dollar store or thrift store with a hole cut in it to accomodate the hanger?
    An old hub cap?
    A small size don't chew on yourself post surgery pet collar?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  5. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    It seems to me if the feeder is hanging and swings a little, the birds do not jump up onto the feeder. If I have a feeder that is not hanging on the top I place a large piece of mesh after wadding it. The larger birds do not like the the unpredictability of the netting but as far as chicks I do not know. But then i usually hang the feeder as soon as the birds know where the feed is hanging. Any feeder that is sitting still will get pooped up.

6. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    If you have a dog cone of shame, just tighten it up and wrap it around. [​IMG]

7. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Upside-down funnel... run the chain or rope through the funnel and hang up. Cut the bottom out of a milk jug... same principal.

8. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    What awesome ideas about the plastic bowl and funnel, bird feeder baffle! [​IMG] I think the bowl or funnel would work great on a waterer too. I'd turned a cheap plastic pitcher upside down on top of my 1 gallon waterer but of course they can still knock it off. The bowl or funnel could be siliconed on the underside so that it'd stay put but be washable. I'm going to try ya'll's ideas now cos they'll work better! Thanks!

9. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    An appropriate size saucer from a house plant pot works well for me. Drill a hole to run the chain through. A plastic bowl might work better but we had some of these sitting around.

10. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Quote:I have this same flooring in my kitchen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by