what to put on wound?

welman

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
New Hampshire
Hi there,
I have a NHR with hawk attack injuries...it looks like 2 separate wounds. I'm not much of a nurse nancy but what if anything should I put on it? Neosporin? Peroxide? She's quarantined for the time being but I'd like to help the healing process move along quickly! (My hub wants his shed back!!
tongue.png
)

Many thanks!

Welman, I'm so sorry your girl got hurt! I'm not experienced in wound care, but I do know that peroxide is not a good idea. I've heard it's actually bad for the remaining flesh. I'd try making sure the wounds are absolutely washed out and then smear some Neosporin in/around them.

Anybody else out there can help?

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts! Rinsed it with saline and tried to get antiseptic cream on it as best I could. We'll see how she is tomorrow!

Thanks again,

I agree with the Iodine. I also just read about the iodine being better in the Backyard Poultry magazine. It'll also keep them and the other chickens from pecking at the wounds. Good luck. Glad she survived the attack though.

Thanks! I'll have to check the local feed store for blue coat (?). She's still out of the coop in the shed but if that will discourage pecking I could put her back in sooner than later. Is there a window of time that she would need to be reintroduced for the best (kindest) results?

A million thanks for your input!

Back
Top Bottom