What to sell for????

ChickenChaser34432

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
At Liberty Farm
Hi All So there is a swap this weekend. My Cornish X are 6 weeks in and boys are 7-8 lbs and ladies are at 6-7 lbs. I calculated what I have in them and was wondering what would be a fair LIVE price to ask. New to meaties so any advice is appreciated. I purposely omitted my cost so far. BTW I am in Fla if it matters. THANX

I k ow this doesn't help much but I can't imagine someone willing to slaughter a bird themselves but not raise it. Limited market at best. I wouldn't pay more than 5 bucks or so if I have to do the dirty work.

Fully cleaned I would would easily pay 10 - 15 though. 20+ for organic.

Last edited:
I k ow this doesn't help much but I can't imagine someone willing to slaughter a bird themselves but not raise it. Limited market at best. I wouldn't pay more than 5 bucks or so if I have to do the dirty work.

Fully cleaned I would would easily pay 10 - 15 though. 20+ for organic.
Agreed - I certainly wouldn't pay much. Paid $2 a piece a few years ago for some grown Brahma roosters that I purchased for the sole purpose of eating. It depends a lot on your market. Do you live in an area where people are likely to buy chickens to butcher? Or do you live where people would rather that be done before they get the chickens? Do people in your area raise their own birds? I raise my own and am not too likely to buy more (unless I can get them really cheap) just to butcher.

The swap is at the Dunnellon TSC . I bought the birds for my freezer and bought EXTRA to account for any deaths since most of what I had read said expect it. But all did great. So I thought what the heck sell a few. We live in an ag based town mostly larger animals and a strong ethnic blend of Spanish to Islanders...so dont think selling is an issue. I have $12 in each bird. Was gonna ask $20. If they selll cool if not I will disribute a feww ro family if they help process.

The swap is at the Dunnellon TSC . I bought the birds for my freezer and bought EXTRA to account for any deaths since most of what I had read said expect it. But all did great. So I thought what the heck sell a few. We live in an ag based town mostly larger animals and a strong ethnic blend of Spanish to Islanders...so dont think selling is an issue. I have $12 in each bird. Was gonna ask $20. If they selll cool if not I will disribute a feww ro family if they help process.
Hmmm ! Your competition..... In this morning's local newspaper there are 2 adds by National Brand Grocery stores ( Safeway & Albertson's) for whole already processed chickens for $0.89 / lb. So , a processed chicken weighs in at an average of 5 lbs. x $0.89 = $7.12 .
D.gif

I have been known to sell live birds to some hispanic guy my boyfriend works with for $10 each. If $20 doesn't fly, you could always try $15. These guys are always asking for more, and although we mostly give them away, we have sold a few. Never any problem giving away the roosters.

I'm charging $15 plus they have to help process, but our day old meaties don't arrive until Tuesday and I have 50% of them presold.
For the one exception (processed) I'm charging $20

Like I said don't really care if they sell. They weren't raised to be sold...but since ihave extras what the heck. But I would rather give them to family vs sell them and break even. Well anyhoo thanx to those of ya who have helped.

That is a great idea!
woot.gif
I love it when people are willing to help others out.

Back
Top Bottom