What to Sell Sumatra Roo For?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mariyta, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Mariyta

Mariyta Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2015
    PA
    This post breaks my heart, but I feel like I don't really have a choice. Quick background: I purchased a pair of Sumatra chicks last February, intending to have a hen/roo pair that I could keep together. They were my only chickens (though we have a ton in general. These were MINE though). Of course, they turned out to both be roos. I was fine with that. We put them in a pen together once they started to get a bit bossy and they were happy as clams being their own buddies. Then one died. I didn't want the other one to be alone, so we put him in with the hens (mixed bunch). He was happy enough, but now that spring is here and we've started letting him out, he's becoming a butthead. He's only ever gone after me (probably because I babied him and he thinks he's my boss), but now he's started to go after my 2-year-old cousin. I don't want a rooster that I can't trust around kids. And I don't want to have to stick him in a pen by himself for the rest of his life. So I'm going to sell him to someone who will appreciate and care for him. But I have no idea what to ask for him. He's gorgeous, nice long tail, double spurs. I appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    I'd definitely give full disclosure of his aggression towards humans. Advertise him (don't expect much for an aggressive rooster) and be open to letting him go to freezer camp because you can't guarantee he won't end up there anyway if the next person doesn't feel he's worth the hassle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by