What to use for chicks bedding?

SophieLain127

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
I've seen some say pine shavings, some say they have good luck with paper. What about a fabric cover? I was thinking of lining the tray of the space with paper and covering it with a piece of fabric (like a mini fitted sheet). That way it can be taken off and washed.

Has anyone tried this?

I start mine on a layer of plain white paper towels on top of some wood shavings. That way they have traction and it absorbs their poo. I'm not sure I would want to wash and reuse a fitted sheet (especially if it was my washer....yuck). Once they are used to eating food out of their feeders, I stop using the paper towels and just go with wood shavings (I use the paper towels for about 3-4 days, but most don't use them that long).

Last year as a newbie I started w/ pine shavings, which was fine. But then I changed over to play sand after about 6 weeks or so. I thought that sand was way easier to keep clean-just used a kitty litter scoop to clean up the poop each day. I'm going to start out with sand this year. So excited for chick days to get here-less than amonth away-now just need to restarin myself on #s!

You'll go absolutely mad trying to keep that sheet clean. Absolutely mad. Unless you're truly dedicated to having a non-disposable flooring, I sure wouldn't try to mess with that.

That said, it would WORK, it would just be a cleaning nightmare. Most us us change the paper towels twice a day when they're in use, and that's just that first week! The bigger they get, the more they crap!

I used the compressed wood pellets last year, covered with paper towels for the first week. They worked beautifully, even once the towels were taken up. All I had to do was stir them around. No smell, nothing. I still used them for the adults, but now, of course, since there's more droppings to deal with I scoop every day, just like a litter box.

It's not an actual sheet just a piece of old fabric with some elastic. I'm used to washing cloth diapers so I don't think chicky poop would be much different. LOL.

Thanks for the advice.

I would not wont to wash all that poop in my washer .Get a piece of out door carpet that way you can shake it off every couple of days with or add some de and clean it every couple of weeks .

So aside from the issue of it going in a washer (which it will most likely washed in a bucket of soapy hot bleach water and air dried) are there any other downsides?

Back
Top Bottom