What to use for duck ponds

macyspaz19

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015
I don't have a kiddy pool and I don't have any thing big because I have a small coop
And I was wondering can I use a rubber bucket or something like that and if yes how much space does 1 duck need like how many gallons I have I might get 1 duck because I will have 4 chickens with them

The larger rubber type waterers available at feed and see are plenty for one duck and unlike the kiddie swimming pool, they will not break under heavy use of the pool or even trying to empty it. You want a water source deep enough for them to swim in, easy to empty and clean and one that will last when you try to empty it. The kiddy pools always seem to break for me after a few times of emptying the water! so they end up being more expensive in the long run:)

Essentially, a duck does not need any water to swim in as long as you provide a water bucket deep enough for them to dunk their entire heads. However, I always liked to prived water to swim in for mine and those rubber dishes worked quite well.

Hardware stores do have rather durable, big, flat tubs meant for mixing concrete in. They're heavy duty and not very expensive. Much more durable than a kiddie pool, and they provide more volume for duck bathing. They don't NEED a pool as long as they can dunk their heads, but they certainly love using one. Plus, it keeps them clean and sleek.

Back
Top Bottom