What to use for thr roof?

havi

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Waco, Texas
Okay heres the dilemma..I want an angled roof ^ while DH wants a slanted roof / He says it will be easier to build and less money(he wants to use tin.) I, on the other hand, still want an angled roof because it looks nicer to me.

My question is..what other type of material can be used for a roof? I have no clue as how to shingle a roof and DH is deadset against doing it for me. So shingles are outta the question. I dont want to use tin, it doesnt look that good to me. Thats what we have on the temp coop now. Ive seen that clear wavy stuff that you can buy at Lowes, but we live in Central Texas with no trees where the coop will be and I dont want baked chicken! So is there anything else to use? Or am I just up poo creek without a paddle?

Poo Creek...
lau.gif
We have a tin roof. If you use the edge pieces to onclose it it looks nice enough. I have it on my coop, shed and house. hehehe...Poo Creek...

I have both pitches of roofs.Painted metal looks great,lasts longer, installs quickly,and snow slides right off.I have it on all my coops,my garage and will on my house if I build one where I live. Will.
Scan0002.jpg

What about colored tin (is it just the plain galvanized you don't like?) Although that will cost more.

Shingling is REALLY pretty easy, though -- just get a book that has good directions and, you know, follow them
tongue.png
You can learn to do it yourself no prob.

A tin-clad, "angled" (shed) roof *is* the cheapest way to go, though. Unless you happen to have free plywood and shingles.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Make a green roof. If your roof is not at too steep of an angle, build a little planter on the top and put in about 3-4 inches of soil. plant herbs in it. make sure you put down tar paper or tyvek first so that it doesn't rot. It will keep the coop cool during the summer and you can grow flowers or herbs on top.

Havi, I have both shingles (on my coop) and tin (on my run). I have a gabled roof on the coop and a slanted roof on the run. Both work equally well. And I think they both look equally nice. The tin in probably easier (ie: quicker) to install, but really, shingling a roof is not hard. If I can do it (without even ruining my manicure), ANYONE can do it. If you are doubting yourself, just ask for help at the building supply store. They are always anxious to help out a chick in need.

Good luck!

if you want a shingle style roof and aren't comfortable with shingles there is a product called rolled roofing... it comes in rolls like the tar paper and just needs a couple of inches of overlap between rows....on a small roof you may only need one run to cover

Back
Top Bottom