What to use in bottom of brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Elegant Chick, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Elegant Chick

Elegant Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    I am getting 6 baby chicks next Thursday, Mar 13. I'm using a 31 gallon plastic tub for the brooder box. For heat, I'm using the Brinsea EcoGlow 20. Is it OK to put the heater on top of the pine shavings, or should I use rubber shelf liner on the bottom like I've seen on some chicken blogs? Will the chicks try to eat the pine shavings. Also, how much of the shavings should I put in the box? Can you tell I'm a nervous chick mom?

2. Try the larger shavings about an inch deep (less dust also) as you really don't have any cause for concern with the red heat lamps for poultry. Hang the lamp about without placing it on the shavings directly. Shavings compost easily and absorb poo nicely.

Wish at the best.

3. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Aren't we all? [​IMG]

The bedding depends on the person. Some people use sand - which is practical, but personally, I despise it for no apparent reason -, some use pine (I am one of them), while others absolutely can't stand it. And others use straw, others alfalfa. All of those will work fine! You can pick the one you prefer.

Mine haven't tried to eat it, but some do. If you are concerned about that, I would get the alfalfa, since the chicks can very safely consume it if they get curious. As for how much, just put a few inches in the bottom. Enough that they can dig around some, but not so much that they would have trouble walking around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by