What to use instead of "chicken wire?"

emen8

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
The Poconos
I've already built my coop and the run is enclosed with standard chicken wire. Unfortunately, I didn't read this forum carefully enough beforehand to know that chicken wire isn't strong enough to prevent predators from getting inside. So for now I'm locking my four hens inside their coop overnight. I'm heading to a Lowe's today, and I'm wondering what to get that I can install over the existing wire--or will I have to take that off? What I see online for Lowes doesn't seem to be the half-inch hardware cloth that the local hardware store sells (for lots of $$). I see 16 gauge Keystone 4' x 50' Yard, Garden and Kennel Fence. It doesn't say how big the openings are, but it looks like it might be about 1 inch. Can anyone advise if this will be strong enough? I live in the Poconos, and I'm guessing I'll need protection against opossums, raccoons and foxes.
TIA

A quick search for "16 gauge Keystone 4' x 50' Yard, Garden and Kennel Fence" reveals this to be 2x2 fencing.

• 2”x2” mesh safeguards yards, gardens, toddlers
and pets
• Square Deal
00ae.png
Knot
• Ideal for kennel fencing
• Economical alternative to chain link fencing
• Strong yet lightweight makes fence easy to install
• Tough 16 gauge wire has a bright galvanized finish
that resists rust
• Made in the U.S.

If that is to be overlaid across the existing chicken wire, it may keep predators from breakning in, but small chick who come near the wire may still be at risk. If it is not over the chicken wire, it would seem to be clearly too large a mesh.

I'd be really surprised if Lowes did not have the hardware cloth so many of us us. Maybe when you get to the store you will find it, or go somewhere else?

Thanks, greginshasta. Where did you find those details? The Lowe's description doesn't mention 2" x 2", at when I'm telling it to look in the Wilkes-Barre, PA store. I don't see that when I do a Google search, either.

As it turns out, I'll be closer to a Home Depot today, and I'll have to see what's in the store. Their Web site didn't show exactly what I want.

We are using 1/2" hardware cloth for our runs now also. I'm not sure about other Lowes', but the 2 that we shop at keep the hardware cloth out in the garden section.

Just ask one of the employees, they should be able to help you find what you are looking for.

Dawn

Last edited:
Chicken wire is OK IMO if you reinforce the bottom with a strong wire. I have used a "dog wire" fence, anything from a 2 x 2 to a 1 x 2 or 2 x 4 type wire along the ground and I always bury one end about 12 " in the ground to prevent critters from digging. I did lose a couple early on from coons reaching thru at night , but then I just added a board where they sleep at night and have been fine ever since.

Since you already have up chickenwire I would use 1X2 welded wire or the 2X2 wire that was mentioned above. Either of these two wires would be stronger than hardware cloth and more than likely cheaper. I have also used chain link fencing and 2X4 weld wire horse fence.

After putting up a run with chicken wire, then deciding to move the run, I took all the chicken wire down, and threw it away. There was no way I was going to work with that stuff again! Now I have the 2 x 3 yard fence. My worry during the day is hawks, so its covered. At night, they go into their almost predator proof coop. I wouldn't leave them out at night, I don't think any fence is going to stop all kinds of animals, except maybe that 1/2 inch hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom