What to use to divide dog run in half for silkies

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vpeterson, Jul 15, 2010.

1. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

I just put up an extra large dog run kennel and attached it to my chicken coop. I want to divide the run in half and have separate entrances from the coop so I can separate my blue/black/splash silkies from my buff silkies. I also need the divider to either have a door or be able to step over it myself and yet keep the silkies from jumping over it. What material should I use to make this outside divider?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You could simply get 1x2 welded wire (or 1/2x1 or 1x1), or build a wooden frame and cover with chicken wire. You could use clicken wire alone, but it's pretty flimsy. Most silkies won't hop a 30" height, but some will. I used to have a silkie roo who regularly roosted on a loose 4' tall fence wire.

3. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

I just put up a temporary wire wall (thick garden divider wire) but it is only 20 inches tall. It sounds like I may need something taller.

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Lowes sells a plastic poultry fence that's 36" tall. That might work and you wouldn't cut yourself up installing it either. [​IMG]

5. Caincando1

Caincando1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Dodge Center MN
    Quote:I just bought some of that from the local TSC. While it's a little thicker than the wire stuff, I sure like it better. It's much easier to work with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by