1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what to use to protect the chicks from the sky?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fshinggrl, May 10, 2009.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    By sky, I mean hawks and such. We have a pretty good sized run, and the coop sits in the middle of it, and is pretty high up. It isn't the ideal situation, but it is our situation. The Walls are about 6 feet high. The one question is what to put up top so that the birds of prey can't come in? Oh, yeah.. has to be fairly cheap in that my hubby is already complaining on how much this is costing us. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Lots of people here use deer or bird netting.

Imp

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Well........................

Some folks use plastic netting. Others use string strung back and forth. Others hang old scratched up CD's and DVD's that reflect in the light.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:With some sort of string tied across?

5. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Dear netting would probably be best, but I would put something shiny on top of the netting like CDs or you might have to untangle a stressed out hawk.

6. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    Is chicken wire ok? I was planning on using that until I read this. We have turkey vultures & hawks. The pen is already 2/3 covered with chain link, but I know I need to cover the rest.

7. W.CharltonChickens

W.CharltonChickens Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    West Charlton, NY
    I just finished fencing in my run today. Over the top I just put up the plastic fencing. It's pretty cheap and it'll keep the hawks and such from getting in. I also plan on putting up some streamer type stuff to scare the hawks that much more.

Todd

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:With some sort of string tied across?

Some string fishing line or reflective tape.

9. kassy68

kassy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    Hi,
    I'm just getting the supplies to build my coop.. (chickies come June 3rd) I was looking at my options at the local TSC store and saw the wooden snow fence. I will use the 2x4 welded wire 6' tall on the sides and I was gonna use chicken wire for the top.. But I'm playing with the idea of the wood snow fence over half anyway for some extra shade come summer. It like their own little pergola.. Anyone every try wooden snow fence. You get 48" tall x 50' for $39.99 .

10. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    We used a shrimp net my uncle gave us from one of his shrimp boats. Works great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by