What to used for the bottom of the run during rainy season?

Our run is earth covered with small pubbles. We purchase these and spread in the run.
We can take a hose and hose it down. Works fine. We had Call Ducks and now Silkie Chickens. Regards, Aria

I remove poo from sand. I have a horse stall fork over which I have zip-tied hardware cloth. It sifts out the sand while trapping the poo. I do the coop (pine shavings) every 3-4 days and the run (sand over gravel over landscaping fabric) about that often. Takes only a few min and keeps everything smelling good. I also add Stall Dry to both coop and run every 2 weeks or so.

See info on adding sand to a run at my Mud Eradication Page (link in siggy below).
big_smile.png

We use horse bedding on the bottom layer in the coop, topped with pine shavings in the winter for warmth. Keeps the smell and moisture under control when I don't feel like going out there in the cold to shovel...

Sand in the run. Some folks swear by masonry sand, because when they poop it clumps up into little cement balls and makes it easy to clean, I find it expensive unless you buy it by the ton and share with a few hundred friends
wink.png

Best of luck!

I just put sand in my coop and so far it's doing great, but to do the whole run I need to save up more money. Called one place about maybe getting a cubic yard of river sand and they said it's gonna be round $75 after tax. Ouch!
Maybe wood chip for now?

I use sand because it's easy to clean. I do have to say that it constantly needs to be added to. (I'm due to put more sand out this weekend). When it rains it usually doesn't get muddy, though it's obviously the consistency of wet sand.

I have a 34 large breed chickens. I use a sand/pea gravel mix in my run. The chickens do wind up scratching it in with the soil but there is never a smell or odor of any kind. Not even in wet, rainy weather and I live in deep East Texas. I think it also has to do with the fact that the run is built on higher ground so it doesn't hold water.
I keep the coop filled with pine shavings. I add a bag every month or so and it also never smells. i only clen it out once a year. I do not have to clean the run. The chickens also love to eat the smaller pebbles so I do not have to buy grit. i do however give them oyster shell.

I use sharp sand from b and q which has proved brilliant. Water sinks through sand so no puddles or mud for chicks to stand in. I rake the floor regularly and any poos just come to service really easily so I pick them out by hand. Top up sand every few months as it gets mixed into the soil eventually as they love scratching in it. They also love dust bathing in it. I've now covered my outside run with clear plastic corrogated plastic so that sun still gets through but floor stays dry. They really love it and can still dust bath on a rainy day. Good luck what ever you choose.

Back
Top Bottom