1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What took my hen and all eggs in nest

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cozadfarm, Feb 16, 2013.

1. cozadfarm

cozadfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2012
    This evening when my husband got home he noticed some feathers near our turkey hens nest. We live in SW washington and we free ranger out birds. Normally at night they are locked up but out turkey hen hide her nest and went broody before we discovered the nest. She had 10 eggs and had been sitting for almost 2 weeks with no problems. When my husband went to investigate the feathers he discovered she was gone as well as all the eggs. There were not any shells and no blood. There was a feather trail leading down into our woods. He followed the trail and found a large piles of feathers but still no blood and no body. Anyone have an idea what kind of animal could have done this. Or does this sound human thief like? We thought of humans because non of our other chickens or turkeys were bothered and there were no animal signs or tracks. Help!!!

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    coyote, or a bobcat, and then something else to carry off the eggs. But I'm guessing.

3. cracked egg

cracked egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    We had a similar experience last spring,found it was a large raccoon. Killed one hen on the nest and took all the eggs. The next night another nest was hit,the dogs got there in time. I set up traps and caught it the next night. There was a feather trail,but no body found also.

4. cozadfarm

cozadfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2012
    Just an update: bought a large live catch trap and bated it with eggs and marshmallows. Nothing. No animal signs. Nothing. Non of our other hens have been bothered. I'm beginning to think it was a human that took the hen with a fight that left done feathers and all the eggs. Still not sure. But the good news is I have 5 chicks that I hatched in my incubator to keep her line going. Miss my henny tho

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Canines will often eat the shells too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by