what type and how old?

dizzo

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
im am so new! studying as much as i can before i start building the house and purchase the chickens. i know im going to build a very small hen house (only for 2 hens-i was thinking about that rubbermaid house on the coop design link) i just dont know what type to buy. i would like egg producers that are relativly quiet and will be nice to my 3 and 1 year old. so far i've narrowed it down to marans, well summers, australorps, or plymouth rocks. is four month old a good age to buy?
caf.gif

If you do not raise them from day-old chicks, they might not warm up to you right away. Just a thought. They are so cute when they are young, it might be a good thing for the children to experience the whole process. Just a thought. I have done it both ways, and love the chick stage.

i thought about that but i dont think i can manage the set up for chicks so young. i will consider maybe 2 months old being the limit.
thanks! any thoughts about breed?

I do feel the best way to make pets of them is to raise them, handle and talk to then, etc. I don't usually do this, and have only 2 or 3 out of 15 that apprach me and let me touch them while outside.

I'll tell you what I have. All raised from day olds. 2 Wyandottes that are pleasant enough but don't like to be picked up. 1 Easter egger that loves to be picked up, very sweet. 1 Ancona that also loves to be handled. 1 Polish that is real sweet also,but very noisy. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom