what type and how old?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dizzo, Mar 15, 2011.

1. dizzo

dizzo New Egg

Mar 10, 2011
    im am so new! studying as much as i can before i start building the house and purchase the chickens. i know im going to build a very small hen house (only for 2 hens-i was thinking about that rubbermaid house on the coop design link) i just dont know what type to buy. i would like egg producers that are relativly quiet and will be nice to my 3 and 1 year old. so far i've narrowed it down to marans, well summers, australorps, or plymouth rocks. is four month old a good age to buy?[​IMG]
  2. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    If you do not raise them from day-old chicks, they might not warm up to you right away. Just a thought. They are so cute when they are young, it might be a good thing for the children to experience the whole process. Just a thought. I have done it both ways, and love the chick stage.
  3. dizzo

dizzo New Egg

Mar 10, 2011
    i thought about that but i dont think i can manage the set up for chicks so young. i will consider maybe 2 months old being the limit.
    thanks! any thoughts about breed?
  4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I do feel the best way to make pets of them is to raise them, handle and talk to then, etc. I don't usually do this, and have only 2 or 3 out of 15 that apprach me and let me touch them while outside.
  5. Arthur

Arthur Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    I'll tell you what I have. All raised from day olds. 2 Wyandottes that are pleasant enough but don't like to be picked up. 1 Easter egger that loves to be picked up, very sweet. 1 Ancona that also loves to be handled. 1 Polish that is real sweet also,but very noisy. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by