What type chicken is this & it's nesting habbits

summersoaker

Hatching
10 Years
May 4, 2009
The house next door, prox 20 acres away has 40+ free roaming chickens. They look like a large Bantie,but being uninformed as to chicken breeds, I,m not sure. I saw the same looking chickens roaming all over Hawaii. My question is their nesting habbits. One of the hens has been coming to my place and laying a egg a day for about 30weeks,then leaveing. Now she has desided to stay on the eggs. Is this normal,or is she just setting to be setting. We have Coyote's roaming around,and I want to protect the young if thats really going to happen. Thx Terry

Can you post pics? If she is staying on the nest she is probably broody and will hatch ( or try ) to hatch as to what type I don't know sorry
sad.png

I have a questiono of my own..... I am a very newbie to the chicken world, as in I just purchased 4 chickens for my grandsons at easter time. I really do not know what kind of chickens these are. The man I bought them from said they were called "Red Feathered Chickens" and they will not lay eggs. I cannot find any information on Red Feathered Chickens. Can anyone try and tell me what chicken this might be and I will look for a picture.

Well, if they won't lay eggs...they are cockerels...who will grow up to be roosters. My guess on breed is production red or similar.

Summersoaker, if the bird is broody (sitting almost fulll-time, getting up for maybe a half hour once or twice a day) and her nest is accessible to predators, you need to do something to protect her. Perhaps the easiest choice is to cover her with a bottomless wire cage (welded wire, not chicken wire, with openings no larger than 1/2x1 or 1x1) and anchor the cage into the ground with tree stakes. Add food and water to her cage and let her out to roam a couple of times a day if she chooses. A different method would be to move her, mest and all, to a safe location. This is best accomplished at night with minimal light and as little disturbance as possible.

Game hens love to travel to nieghbors houses to set on a nest of eggs for some reason! lol.. a man down the road has his hens nest on our property sometimes too!

Back
Top Bottom