What type of bush can I put in the run? UPDATE!!!

Quote:
I have sand it my run as well, but it is only the top 4 inches or so. Bushes will get what they need from the soil below when you dig out the hole. I made sure the bushes I planted where tall enough that some foliage could survive. They stripped off the bottom leaf buds as anticipated but they can't reach the top ones. I took the bushes from thick forest where they aren't used to getting any sun in hopes that they would thrive in my covered run where they will only get small amounts of sun
fl.gif

All of the bushes I planted are an experiment and didn't cost me a thing, so if they don't work I won't be heartbroken
smile.png
I have had boredom concerns and spent yesterday working on some zero cost enrichment ideas. They seem happy!

DSCF2088.jpg

The girls pecked the heck out of the bottom half out of curiosity but aren't really bothering with it this morning. I think as long as the top half remains it will survive.
DSCF2082.jpg

I pruned this little tree so it will hopefully reach outside the run for some sunlight once the leaves open.
DSCF2080.jpg

These are 4 lilacs planted where the girls liked to have quite a few dust baths, so I placed some bricks on top to prevent the roots from being torn up. Seems to be working just fine.
DSCF2087.jpg

I placed this giant wire spool in a few weeks ago and they really seem to like it. Yesterday, I stuck some branches in the top for some added interest and to divert some attention off of the little evergreen bush- seemed to work.
DSCF2085.jpg

While out looking for bushes in the woods yesterday, I found these two root balls. Boy did the girls ever have a party! I threw some scratch on them this morning and they had fun treasure hunting.

we're building our coop one weekend in may. i'll have to move/cut down a hydrangea.

i did find a site that lists plants that are toxic to chickens.. http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxic1.html

i
like the idea of blueberries. i'm planning on using some as a back 'fence' for our property anyway. if i put one in the chicken run, would putting large pieces of slag rock around the base deter chickens but still provide enough water for the plant? also, would the berries make a mess after they digest it and all. i know with regular birds that eat them you can tell their poop. the 'blue' still stains. we'll have sand in our run. will that help some?

Quote:
I reeeealllllly don't think you're going to have to worry about what happens when the chickens eat blueberries. Unless this is an existing long-established LARGE bush in a largeish chicken run, it is unlikely to even survive, let alone bloom, let alone have the flowers not be eaten by the chickens, let alone actually develop mature fruit
tongue.png

Pat

Krcote, that first plant in your pic is not a yew, is it? Granted that chickens *usually* leave toxic plants alone, yew is SO poisonous (everything except the flesh of the berries) that personally i would not want it in a run full o' bored chickens....

Pat

Quote:
I reeeealllllly don't think you're going to have to worry about what happens when the chickens eat blueberries. Unless this is an existing long-established LARGE bush in a largeish chicken run, it is unlikely to even survive, let alone bloom, let alone have the flowers not be eaten by the chickens, let alone actually develop mature fruit
tongue.png

Pat

LOL. then i'm moving it to the outside corner. it'll grow into the pen, but they wouldn't be able to devastate it. i'll have to think of something for the other corner too.

Talked to DH about the idea of the Mulberry... he thinks it's perfect... we have a bunch growing around the yard (thanks to the wild bird)... so... free for transplant... next to impossible to kill when extablished (Dh will attest to this... he's hacked a few in his day). Run won't be finished with birds in it until, at least , June (so time to get it going).
Thanks for this great idea!
frow.gif

Quote:
Well, looks like a yew to me. They ate a good portion of that bush yesterday and aren't dead yet. So who the heck knows. Personally, I think all will be well. Sometimes I think we take "poisonous" to a paranoia level. Also, what may kill a horse certainly is not the same as to what will kill a chicken. Perfect example, chocolate in dogs.

Our chickens share an uncovered run with our goats. We would never be able to get anything to grow in there due to the goats. On the outside of the run however, we have apple trees, a peach tree, blackberry and raspberry bushes, oak trees and butterfly bushes. The chickens do eat the berry bushes through the fencing, so I need to get some hardware cloth for that area. We are building a new coop with a covered run that will be attached to the open run. In the covered run we will be putting branches trimmed off of manzanita bushes in the covered run for the chickens to play in and on and will hang a couple cabbages or other veggies for them to play with during the winter months when they can't get into the uncovered run.

Back
Top Bottom