What type of chicken would you recommend to a newcomer??

OBnurse

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 5, 2010
North Western Wisconsin
Gonna buy some chickens this spring.

I want med to large eggs. Would like some meat on the birds.

Friendly and easily handled is a must.

Would prefer a rooster that is quiet. I work nights and PM's.

If you want a good dual purpose breed (meat and eggs) I'd honestly recommend getting some good quality chickens. (Not from a hatchery or feedstore) - Because hatcheries only breed for egg production, no matter what breed, and end up creating rather skinny birds.

Beyond that, some good breeds would be true Ameraucanas, Rhode Island Reds, Delawares, Orpingtons, French Marans, Plymouth Rocks, Buckeyes, and Wyandottes.

French Marans especially, in my experience, usually are quiet as roosters. Their deep, low pitched crow is a big plus, as a higher pitched crow is more annoying. Also, a lot of mine don't crow very often at all.

Thanks!

We were gonna go from a hatchery, but I think you swayed me!

I would probably have to eat a noisy rooster anyways.

Do you know anything about Welsummer's. I think they are really pretty too.

Do they make a lot of noise?

Never had them, but there's a whole thread here on them . . . I've heard good things about them though.
smile.png
They don't lay as dark of an egg color and aren't as heavy/meaty but they're still a pretty breed, and will in most cases lay a very speckled/splotchy egg. Don't know about the noise factor though.

I think everyone should have at least one Easter Egger (mutt type) chicken if not for the color of their eggs (usually green or blue) then certainly for their personalities.

True Ameruacana are good too.

Hi! (I'm originally a Badger, now living in CA--welcome!)

I have one of everything 'cause I couldn't decide!! I got all my hens as newly laying 5 month olds, except the wellies, who were 6 weeks behind (so 3 1/2 months). One RIR (lead hen--good steady layer!) One light brahma--heavy bird and sensible. One EE--very curious and personable. Good layer of pale mint green eggs at 4-5 per week. Two blue cochins who are more docile and steady layers. Heavy gals who do not fly well and are slow with change...but pleasant and fluffy! Two welsummers who are taking ever-loving forever to start laying. These two are super skittish and one is downright dumb as nails. Sigh. I call out, "treats girls" when i get home and they all come running from 100 feet away...except the one wellie who runs the other way. Dufus. The smarter one still won't let me near her after months. (The five older hens I can pick up to check when needed--no problem.) I was particularly excited to get the Welsummers and looking forward to the dark colored eggs, but so far have not been impressed with these two. They forage well, however.

nice egg colors--the pink one is from the brahma!

foraging under the fig tree

Wellie dufus

The big girls...drinking the cat's water! (He wasn't thrilled about this...)

Delawares are good dual purpose birds and SUPER friendly- I have several that are lap sitters-and they are friendly from day one- the chicks will run to you and jump all over you, kids love them!

Back
Top Bottom