1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What type of chickens give you certain colored eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SilkieChickenLover336, Mar 7, 2016.

1. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    I just wanted to make a list of chickens that have pretty colored eggs opposed from the standard white and light brown. What type of chickens lay "Easter" type eggs such as blue, green, pink, speckled, olive, and dark chocolate brown?

2. applebutter14

applebutter14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    im not to sure on some breeds but i will list what i do know:

cuckoo marans: dark chocolate brown
    welsummer: terra cotta
    aracauna/ameracauna: blue-ish green
    whiting true blue: blue
    most chickens with red earlobes: brown
    most chickens with white earlobes: white
    olive eggers: olive

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  3. Soylent Chick

Soylent Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2015
    I use hatchery websites like My Pet Chicken since they categorize their breeds by egg color. There's also this Egg Color Chart on BYC. There's another handy chart but I need to refind it first. :p

4. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    If you go to mypetchicken.com under day old chicks on the left side, they break them down by egg color. I'm sure it's not all-inclusive but it is a good place to start your search.

5. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Smile Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Easter Eggers (Commonly mislabeled as Americana by hatcheries, true Ameraucanas or Araucanas are rare) lay green, blue, or pink, or occasionally plain brown.
    True Ameraucanas or Araucanas lay blue eggs.
    Olive Eggers will lay, well, olive eggs.
    Black Copper Marans (BCM) lay dark brown.
    Hope this helps!
    -Banti

1 person likes this.
  6. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Here's a sample of this week's offerings with regular brown eggs for comparison. The pink egg in the middle is from a Barred Rock (watched her lay it and several other identical eggs), and the lighter pink-brown in the bottom row is from one of the Easter Eggers, and of course the green egg is from another Easter Egger. The remaining eggs are from Speckled Sussex, Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, another Barred Rock.

[​IMG]

:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by