What type of chicks should we get?

PuffMommy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Fairfield, CT
I'm in the very beginning stages of just thinking about doing this. It would be to have fun pets for the kids and to provide fresh eggs for the family. We would only be getting about 4 chicks (assuming they lay about 4 -5 eggs per week). What kind should we order? Where from? Do they need to be just hatched or can we get them a little older? Thanks so much for your help. I'm sure this will be my first post of many as we get started with this process...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking for a layer only, then the hybrids will lay almost one egg per bird per day. There should be a feed store near you somewhere that you can order both chicks or started birds from. I usually order mine 'ready to lay' at the beginning of every spring, and give them to a farmer friend every fall because I don't enjoy over wintering them:>) Your local feed store will answer any questions you have regarding breeds they carry and what you might order depending on your families needs. They are a wonderful thing to involve kids in

Last edited:
My EEs from Ideal Poultry (I believe they ate labeled as Ameraucanas on their web site) are great, very friendly. I also have Barred Rocks from Ideal Poultry, they are my little buddies and have lots of personality, they are fun to have around and will lay brown eggs.

Last edited:
Hi Maureen,

I'll TRY to answer some of your questions. My personal preference for acquiring new birds is by mail order (there are different hatcheries on-line such as meyer's hatchery and murray mcmurray). By ordering from them, you can order just girls, unless you want a rooster. They do have a minimum # of birds per shipment in order for the birds to keep each other warm. And by the way, it is pretty wierd the first time you go to the local post office and pick up your box of new arrivals.
I always order a few extra birds than I really want anyway just in case something goes wrong and I lose a few. You can always raise them for awhile and then sell the extras.

You also could check with a local farm, or look in the classifieds to see if someone has a few extras that they want to sell. Personally, I couldn't resist getting the sweet, fluffy chicks though.

My new flock consists of buff orpingtons, and so far I am really happy with them. They lay jumbo brown eggs and are very gentle chickens.

Hope this helps?!

thanks for the replies. very helpful. i just called a local feed store and they have a breed called Red Cross. does anyone know anything about them?

I am assuming "RedX" is a general term for a hybrid brown egg layer. Are these ready to lay or are they chicks? Chicks will not lay for 20 weeks...and they need extra care...heat source, brooder box etc. For your first year you might want to go ready to lay.

Hey, you just might be in chickens! Have fun with them, and keep in mind that they are contagious...I always start the spring with good intentions...small flock, enough eggs for just us...but it always grows to at least 40 birds in no time...

I like raising them from chicks; that way I know what they've eaten and how their health has been all along. For great layer and friendly, curious birds, in my opinion, you cannot beat Barred Plymouth Rocks and secondly, Buff Orpingtons. The Buff Orps still, even among hatchery strains, the tendency to go broody, and therefore quit laying for a time, but usually, Barred Rocks do not. They are my favorite two breeds and even my roosters are sweethearts.

Back
Top Bottom