what type of duckling is this?

A mirror will help him a lot they love to interact with the mirror. You may never be able to release him though since he is so dependent on you.

Maybe I’ll put one in with him & see if that changes anything. I do know that he did like to see himself in my camera on my phone though haha. But what I’ve noticed is that in the terrarium I kept him in he can see his reflection in the glass, & it seemed like it might have been what was making him run back in forth like he was. I don’t know for sure but it looked like he was stressed about it. Maybe he thought it was another duckling but he couldn’t get to it? & I probably will have to keep him since he is so attached to me. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind it at all. I’ll definitely get him some companions if so. But I have heard that with wood ducks you can never really tame them, even from hatching with humans they still stay pretty wild. We’ll just have to see how things turn out as he grows I guess.

Maybe I’ll put one in with him & see if that changes anything. I do know that he did like to see himself in my camera on my phone though haha. But what I’ve noticed is that in the terrarium I kept him in he can see his reflection in the glass, & it seemed like it might have been what was making him run back in forth like he was. I don’t know for sure but it looked like he was stressed about it. Maybe he thought it was another duckling but he couldn’t get to it? & I probably will have to keep him since he is so attached to me. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind it at all. I’ll definitely get him some companions if so. But I have heard that with wood ducks you can never really tame them, even from hatching with humans they still stay pretty wild. We’ll just have to see how things turn out as he grows I guess.

A companion duck is a great idea. I put my babies in their new outside pen for the first time, and it took forever for them to settle down. Today, they spent about 4 hours outside, but I noticed that they settled much faster. They actually enjoy being outside.

Back
Top Bottom