What type of ducks

Sheltiepawz

Songster
Sep 16, 2019
Deep South Louisiana
Hi all! We just moved to a new house and inherited two ducks with our pond. I know my chicken breeds, but I’m not as good with the duck Breeds. The are not very tame, but are coming within four feet of me now for food. Any ideas?

We plan on adding welsh harlequins at the end of February!!

Attachments

• 849877E7-D0AA-4EEE-9658-0C8A785B4ED7.jpeg
    849877E7-D0AA-4EEE-9658-0C8A785B4ED7.jpeg
    602 KB · Views: 15
  • 2F769B79-CC8C-4303-A6FC-E600AC83313C.jpeg
    2F769B79-CC8C-4303-A6FC-E600AC83313C.jpeg
    690.6 KB · Views: 11
Hi all! We just moved to a new house and inherited two ducks with our pond. I know my chicken breeds, but I’m not as good with the duck Breeds. The are not very tame, but are coming within four feet of me now for food. Any ideas?

We plan on adding welsh harlequins at the end of February!!

I should add they have white on their chest and I have not seen them fly at all. They stay at the pond all day.

Two crossbred mallard derived drakes.
I was thinking probably a cross...
Hoping we can get them a little more tame. We’ve only been here a few days. They are already starting to associate me with food. At first they swam away when they saw me. Now they are starting to swim toward me to see what I have😊.

Feed is the great tamer. Just let them come to you so that they know you are not a danger.
Food is the best!!!
I’m about to place my order for my new ducklings arriving at the end of February. I was thinking of getting a drake welsh harlequin, but I’m slightly worried with these two being males? I’m not sure of the appropriate ratios with ducks. Any words of wisdom?

I was planning on adding 6 Ducklings. 5 females 1 drake, but maybe this won’t work.

Back
Top Bottom