What type of feed should I feed our 16 week old pullets?

Mamachicks28

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Our 5 pullets are about 16 weeks old, I know I read somewhere that we need to change their food supply. When I went to our local pet shop to get the next food, they told me grit and chick scratch. I remember someone telling us that we shouldn't feed them too much scratch when because they get too fat and won't lay egg. They aren't laying yet.
I'm a bit confused. So, are we to feed them the hen scratch in replacement of the starter feed? Or should we move on to something else and give them the scratch as a treat? I'm searching for answer in this forum, but can't locate an answer. Yes, I see a treat chart but I am thinking of the base source of food not treat.
Should I be starting them on layer food - pellet or crumble? Or is this too soon? Thank you.

You are at the crossroads. It is still a bit soon for layer pellets. (pellets are so much neater). I'd feed them Grower for one more bag. 5 healthy pullets ought to rip through that bag in a month, which means at 20 weeks, you can then switch to layer.
Some feed companies sell Starter, Starter/Grower and Grower. Any of it would be OK. You don't need medicated anymore.

Scratch is OK, for a little "we're going back to the coop now" bribe, but that's about it.

After my chicks come 2 months of age i put mine out in the coop with the adult laying hens. Since i have no way of separating them the chicks and laying hens both eat laying hen feed.

Dont you have a farm supply or feed store around? A Tractor Suppy or farmer's co-op? You know someplace where you could buy horse, goat, pig, etc food. I agree with Fred's hens...feed one more sack of flock grower and then start on layer pellets. Dont forget to add a pan of crushed oyster shells in their run, too for extra calcium. That helps make the shells thicker and stronger when they do start to lay. However you can expect some thin shelled or even no shelled eggs when they first start laying. Also sometimes they will lay double yolkers too. Pretty soon though their "plumbing" gets better regulated and things start progressing normally. Their first eggs will be small, too...some real small, like a golf ball or ping pong ball. They are cute!

Quote:
I don't feed later feed to my flock at all.

Chicks get medicated chick starter for the first 8 - 12 weeks, depending on when I get them outside. They need the medicated feed when they are on the ground; stopping it before they have the chance to develop resistance to the coccidia serves no purpose and gives one a false sense of security. (Ask me how I know this.... sadly...)

Once they are out of segregated status, released from their grow out coop, they eat what the rest of the flock eats: all purpose 18% pellets. "All flock," a Nutrena product. Everybody gets it, even the layers. I keep crushed oyster shell out 24/7 free choice so the layers can take what they need for calcium. That way, the younger chicks don't get calcium (from layer feed) too soon.

Back
Top Bottom