what type of fencing for pasturing?

hpitassi

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
We have 8 hens, an 8x4 coop, and an 8x10 completely hardware-clothed run with a human sized door. I have been throwing back and forth how and if I will let these ladies "free-range". Since I am in the 'burbs I really cant let them migrate through neighbors yards and such. The coop is nestled into the woods, which is uneven ground, full of brush and trees of course. I was thinking of a moveable fencing system that I could change the enclosed area if needed, but it would always come off the run door.
Has anyone done this in the woods? There is no open grassy area really. I am concerned about cost of MORE materials, daytime predators (we always lock up at night), and the chickens flying over the fence. I am sure this question has been asked about a thousand times on here lol. I think most of my girls are heavy breeds- 1 RIR, 1 black australorps, 4 EE, 1 German Spitzhauen, and 1 Barred rock. Also, I am not supposed to have a rooster in my township, though my BR might be one, they are too young to tell.

So my questions are,
1. what do you use to fence with that wont cost me a million?
2. when did you start letting them free range ( mine are 9 and 14 weeks).
3. Do you clip wings?
4. also, a little off topic, anyone have more than 8 hens in a coop/run my size? Just curious.
And if there are other things I should think about don't hesitate to mention them!

If there is any way of putting welded wire fencing through the brush, maybe 5 ft high it might work. I used t-poets placed about 10 ft apart and wire ties to attach the fencing, but it isn't through brush.

Generally they won't wander far from the coop, but that doesn't help with predators. They will find plenty of tasty bugs in that area. Wish I could be of more help.

I am also pondering letting my flock free range a bit within a larger fenced area, so you have my sympathy examining all the pros and cons.

I don't have experience with it, but have you looked into the electric netting fence? That might give you some flexibility to go around and between trees and move it now and then, plus you wouldn't have to set posts too deeply, which might be challenging with all the tree roots. You would have to clear a fence line and keep it clear, but that would be the case also with steel posts and welded wire.

I imagine you would need to clip wings to keep them from popping up onto limbs and shrubs to fly over a lower fence. Maybe deer netting would let you keep birds in a large area, but in that case with little predator protection. The woods and shrubs should help some.

I am about to build my coop and am trying to figure out a similar movable pen/pasture option for my chickens.

Cost being a pretty big component, I found this…. http://www.3tproducts.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=196&idcategory=38

It might work for your application, being that it is a flexible netting. Not sure how tightly packed your brush situation is, but you might be able to work around it with this fencing.

As for predators……..probably not the safest application for unsupervised chickens.

I am about to build my coop and am trying to figure out a similar movable pen/pasture option for my chickens.

Cost being a pretty big component, I found this…. http://www.3tproducts.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=196&idcategory=38

It might work for your application, being that it is a flexible netting. Not sure how tightly packed your brush situation is, but you might be able to work around it with this fencing.

As for predators……..probably not the safest application for unsupervised chickens.
That's a great option for back yard chicken owners who want to 'free range' their chickens, but prevent them from getting into sensitive areas within the yard. Mine don't seem to want to fly/jump over wobbly fence, so 4' would probably do it.

Back
Top Bottom