What type of goose house is best?

inkelaar

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 18, 2015
I am new to geese.... thanks for your ideas.
I have four Sebastopol geese. We have a large pond that they can free range on with a 100 acres.
My question is I am not sure what type house would be easy maintenance for me and good for them.

1- a floating house on the pond. Is it predator safe? How would I train them to sleep there at night. From what I read they don’t put themselves up like chickens.

2-a goose house on land with a fenced yard. An area that would be safe but then I am left with letting them in and out. We vacation a good bit and I like to keep things low maintenance.

thanks for your thoughts. I-added a quick image of the babies have a swim lesson in the tub:)

Attachments

• EFAF8FF0-96AE-4820-8A9E-48AC65E98D42.jpeg
    EFAF8FF0-96AE-4820-8A9E-48AC65E98D42.jpeg
    862.7 KB · Views: 23
My geese prefer to sleep under the stars even in a snow storm. I give mine dogloos but they are mainly used to lay and brood goslings. Do provide a secure enclosure for night time protection. Sebastopol don't love swimming like other breeds. A floating house would be a waste of money. They are also very active at night. Confine them. Make the area large enough so of you have to leave for an extended amount of time they will be fine.

If you to opt for some sort of "house" you will have to round them up and put them away each night. After three years I have to do that will our 7 Toulouse. Just make sure they can stand upright inside and spread their wings to full extension. Then make sure you can actually get inside he "house" to clean and to oversee any nesting they might do.

I am new to geese.... thanks for your ideas.
I have four Sebastopol geese. We have a large pond that they can free range on with a 100 acres.
My question is I am not sure what type house would be easy maintenance for me and good for them.

1- a floating house on the pond. Is it predator safe? How would I train them to sleep there at night. From what I read they don’t put themselves up like chickens.

2-a goose house on land with a fenced yard. An area that would be safe but then I am left with letting them in and out. We vacation a good bit and I like to keep things low maintenance.

thanks for your thoughts. I-added a quick image of the babies have a swim lesson in the tub:)

Every single person I've talked to who's had a floating house said their birds never used it, besides raccoons, mink, otter and snapping turtles could all get the birds easily. Geese should have a secure coop that they can go into at night to get away from the predators and be able to get out of the harsh elements, avoid ramps and make sure the area around the coop drains will or you will have a muddy mess in no time. Also, make sure you can clean the coop out with ease, don't have the coop three feet tall.

Back
Top Bottom