What type of plant and is it goat safe?

22lilchickens

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
Virginia
I have this growing in my duck pen and around some other pens. My goats seem to love it, the pic is of the plant in my duck pen so I wanted to let my goats come in here and trim some of it down for me but I'm not too sure about it, does anybody know if it's ok for them to eat it?

If the goats like it chances are it is safe. Goats like a lot of weeds. You could take a sample to the farm advisor's office if you like, but if it were me, I'd let them eat it.

Does it bloom yellow? It looks a bit like a wild fennel type plant. Does it have an herbal smell when you break or bruise it - mildly 'licorice'?

If it's a fennel, then you should be okay. From what I've read it doesn't come through in milk strongly, but there's not much about it online, so there's not many opinions to compare. It's listed as medium palatability here

Does it bloom yellow?  It looks a bit like a wild fennel type plant.  Does it have an herbal smell when you break or bruise it - mildly 'licorice'?

If it's a fennel, then you should be okay.  From what I've read it doesn't come through in milk strongly, but there's not much about it online, so there's not many opinions to compare.  It's listed as medium palatability here
x2, it's fennel but it can cause miscarriage in pregnant humans, in relatively small quantity, don't know if it would cause a miscarriage in goats.

I looked up fennel. The article I found said fennel is a fine feed for goats and is said to increase milk production. Do not overfeed to pregnant goats because it may cause uterine contractions..

Back
Top Bottom