What type of shampoo is safe for chickens?

rhodeislandred1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 27, 2012
I have 2 rhode island reds and i want to give them a bath. I want to know what shampoo to use so tha i wont hurt them thank you :)

Lets study the logic of giving chickens baths.

Statement A: A chicken if left to its own natural chicken behavior will liberally wallow in dirt, sand, ashes, and dust to keep itself clean.

Statement B: Then the chicken in question preens its feathers with oil created by the chicken itself for the sole purpose of creating a waterproof barrier.

Statements A and B are both true.

Statement C: Then the chickens' keeper comes along and dunks the poor chicken in a tub of water and scrubs its tender hide with a caustic chemical solution designed to remove both the natural water barrier as well as the dust that the chicken invested so many hours of its life to bathing in.

Statement C is false, because no chicken seeks out soap and water. No chicken willingly takes or ever attempts to wash with soap and water. some song birds wash in standing water but not chickens. Then some of us are perplexed or horrified when our chickens attack us when our backs are turned.
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury I present exhibits A & B and Your Honor, my client Foghorn Leghorn pleads, "Not guilty by reasons of self defense."

Last edited:
Lets study the logic of giving chickens baths.

Statement A: A chicken if left to its own natural chicken behavior will liberally wallow in dirt, sand, ashes, and dust to keep itself clean.

Statement B: Then the chicken in question preens its feathers with oil created by the chicken itself for the sole purpose of creating a waterproof barrier.

Statements A and B are both true.

Statement C: Then the chickens' keeper comes along and dunks the poor chicken in a tub of water and scrubs its tender hide with a caustic chemical solution designed to remove both the natural water barrier as well as the dust that the chicken invested so many hours of its life to bathing in.

Statement C is false, because no chicken seeks out soap and water. No chicken willingly takes or ever attempts to wash with soap and water. some song birds wash in standing water but not chickens. Then some of us are perplexed or horrified when our chickens attack us when our backs are turned.
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury I present exhibits A & B and Your Honor, my client Foghorn Leghorn pleads, "Not guilty by reasons of self defense."

I gave my chickens baths for health reasons. So yes we do need to give them baths sometimes. My baby silkie had some nasty crusted crud on it and needed a bath. And one of my chickens had a weird wet feather problem. Both times people on here-flock masters and people with LOTS of chickens told me to bath them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom