What vaccinations do you give your chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by serendipity22, Aug 29, 2007.

1. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    What vaccinations do you give your chickens? When? How? Why? How often?

I have no vaccination schedule for my chickens as of yet. Had never even heard of a thing for the chickens until I read about chicken pox on this board. I do live near a creek and since I'm in SE North Carolina, mosquitoes are numerous a good part of the year. My horse is vaccinated for E/W enceph... and West Nile as well all of his other shots. What do I need to vaccinate the chickens for?

Thanks for the input!

2. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    The only thing I've ever done is given Tetracycline to cover the Salmonella when I had it this summer. It was a preventitive decision based upon the fact that I would have had to destroy the flock otherwise. Other than that one incident, I've never vaccinated against anything. Hope someone else can give further enlightenment.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't vaccinate. Some live vaccines, in simple terms, infect the birds with a low dose of the disease and instantly make them carriers, from what I understand. From then on, you would have to vaccinate every bird that comes into your flock. Anyway, I don't plan to ever vaccinate for anything.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Unless you are a 10,000 bird operation or have previous disease problems where you are in your flock, it's not necessary. I don't vaccinate.

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    This might depend on your state. Some require vaccines be given, most don't.

I do not vaccinate my birds for anything.

6. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    I am soooo glad to hear this news.

None of my folks around here have vaccinated their chickens.

Good! No vaccinations it is!!! [​IMG]

7. Farmgirl2234

Farmgirl2234 New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    I love bantam chickens and I'm planning to adopt (5) 4-week old juveniles as egg layers in the Memphis to Nashville, TN Area. I was wondering robin416 (TN State Rep for the American Silkie Bantam Club) Does our state require any vaccinations other than Marek's disease and coccidiosis. Ive been told tho that I should also vaccinate for AE and Fowl Pox as well as Laryngotracheitis. What is your stand point on those?
    Also, What is your recommended feed to scratch grain and corn mix. And I've heard that some people continue to feed bantams chick grit into adult hood because of their smaller size. Would you still recommend adult grit or a mix of both chick and adult grit once at an adult egg laying stage? I've also heard of the debate between Argonite Flour and Oyster shells for healthy eggs. Which one do you prefer for a calcium supplement? Thank you so much for your help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by