What was I Thinking? Adopted 3 with Special Needs & 12 Mixed Fertile Eggs!!!

Boonie Stomper

Crowing
Jan 1, 2018
DC, MD, VA region
Returned from a long road trip and next thing I know, I've said yes to 3 hopefully female birds, and a mixed lot of eggs ready for an incubator... All on July 6.
Not much clue what have here.
Any guesses and suggestions appreciated!
Here are the newbies that now join my laying BR and RR:
20180707_101846.jpg

This one flies and let me pick it up off the top of a fence.
20180707_101838.jpg

The one in rear I'm guessing is an EE pullet.
The front one is barely surviving and reportedly not growing much and 3+ months old. A runt maybe?

And then there's 12 eggs and if I don't find help they will be forfeit, as there is a 5-hen limit here.

I know this belongs in like 5-6 different forums... Emergency. Managing Flock. Swap. Incubating. Stories. Buy/ Sell ...

:barnie HEEEELP!

Last edited:
20180707_103348.jpg
The little one that you called the runt has something going on with it's eyes? Any other symptoms? Are they oozing? I'd give the nutridrench for the extra calories. Sounds like you had an exciting 6th!
:idunno
Yes! One eye more so than the other, looking sort of like conjunctivitis, with a bit of swollen tissue around the eye.
She (or he) may have been pecked?
There are many bald areas with few feathers. There is very bony frame. Drinks lots and eats very scantily. Falls asleep after a few bites at the feeder. Misses target on ground and greens etc. held out to be taken. No apparent external parasites, but rubs her head a lot. Does preen. Shakes head with each attempted mouthful. Very vocal. Poop normal to watery, of what's been seen so far. Acts like younger chick than was told... maybe simply malnourished?

Kept inside last night and offered supplements in wet food.

Last edited:
Yes! One eye more so than the other, looking sort of like conjunctivitis, with a bit of swollen tissue around the eye.
There are many bald areas with few feathers. There is very bony frame. Drinks lots and eats very scantily. Falls asleep after a few bites at the feeder. Misses target on ground and greens etc. held out to be taken. No apparent external parasites, but rubs her head a lot. Does preen. Shakes head with each attempted mouthful. Very vocal. Poop normal to watery, of what's been seen so far. Acts like younger chick than was told... maybe simply malnourished?

I would try giving him-she nutridrench 50% mixed with water using an eye dropper or a syringe. If you can get enough of that into her she may begin to drink it on her own from a cup - yes, I know, from a cup. I've done it recently! It did work, my pullet looked like she wouldn't make it through the night, but she perked up within 2 hours and by morning was doing much better. The concentrated nutrition is very helpful.

I read a post recently about a chick bobbing it's head while eating. It was resolved when she was fed wet food. She was having a problem swallowing the dry food. Rubbing her head may be in response to her eyes.

Great suggestion. To be honest, there was doubt about survival through the first night.
Notice how extremely pale she was (added photo to last post).
Most likely all 3 could benefit the drench, though, don't you think?

All are from the same place and have at least all the stresses of rehoming to cope with.

You are in a pickle!

You can sell extras on craigs list.

The sick one could have mareks. I would keep them quarantined from your flock until you figure it out
Hmm... I suppose I COULD just eat those eggs too instead of risking my butt with a Craigslist illegal venture... But the prospect of setting up an incubator is viable if I can act quickly. It would be so rewarding... I'd have to change my schedule too much to pull it off, though, realistically. Off to another forum to find a taker...

Lastly... Please don't paint that Mareks "devil on the wall"! I hate it when someone always seems to say a bird might have it when there is really no more evidence for that than to say the poster could be an alien. Or that you might have cancer because you have a bump on you somwhere. No other birds were as pitiful as this one and there were a lot of very healthy grown birds there where this one came from. No evidence to support Mareks in that flock.

Great suggestion. To be honest, there was doubt about survival through the first night.
Notice how extremely pale she was (added photo to last post).
Most likely all 3 could benefit the drench, though, don't you think?

All are from the same place and have at least all the stresses of rehoming to cope with.
Agreed that they would all benefit from it!

Today is day 3 and integration has been tough with the 2 layers' aggression. They are now free ranging as I post, and the noobies are in the coop with the door open for a breeze.
Have named the bantam that flies Phoenix. The neurotic fast fleeing EE pullet Roadrunner AKA beep-beep. The underdeveloped mutt (?) Harlequin.
All are feeling their extra nutrient boost today! :thumbsup
More to be done on Harlie though her palor has improved slightly. The right eye has what looks like a granule of pus under the bottom lid and some ooziness when I tried to get a photo. Its not allowing that and opens it voluntarily only a split second.
Extra high protein and fat food is being forced a little for this one, due to the emaciation and weakness. It seems to be helping...:yesss:

Back
Top Bottom