What was the most likley preditor?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by holderh, Nov 17, 2011.

1. holderh

holderh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    One of our hens was killed last week while free ranging. We assume it was a hawk as they are always flying around out here. We have been lucky up until now. I found her in the field mostly eaten and feathers everywhere. I was wondering what preditor would most likley leave it in the field. it happened sometime between 7-3 but we think it was that morning because the feathers were wet and it had been raining that morning. Since this happend i have left them in their run. As of right now we are quarentiening new birds so we are having to leave these girls in their own run too until the quarentine is over but when i do let them out what would be the best time of day to avoid hawks? I heard they mostly hunt in the early morning and evening but i dont know if letting them out mid day would help to keep the hawks from getting them or not.

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    If she looks like she was plucked then it probably was a hawk. Seems like we have hawks around here at all hours of the day. Sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by