What went wrong with the incubation?:(

Igorbilbao

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2021
Hi,
I’m from Spain so sorry for my english I will try to explain what happened the best that i can. Some years ago out of curiosity I wanted to try incubating eggs, so I bought a incubator (janoel 12) and had a successful hatching (5/6 the other being infertile). But when I tried again this year, everything was going great by day 7 in 8/9 eggs i could see development. But day 21 arrived and no one hatched, day 22 one chick hatched. Today is day 24 i have lost hope another chick is going to hatch. I want to try again so I would appreciate some tips on what went wrong to fix it.

It sounds like it may be "sticky chick." When they pip but don't hatch, or develop but don't hatch, it is usually because the incubating humidity is too high, in my experience. (I am not an expert, though.) They are chicken eggs, I'm assuming? I hope you have better luck with your next hatch!

Do you have individual cups in the bottom of the incubator, or have you filled the whole bottom up? Where I am I have to fill up small cups in the bottom (not included w/the incubator) to get the humidity where I want it.

Do you have individual cups in the bottom of the incubator, or have you filled the whole bottom up? Where I am I have to fill up small cups in the bottom (not included w/the incubator) to get the humidity where I want
Yeah they are chicken eggs and I just filled the whole bottom up. Maybe buying a humidity monitor can help? Thank you for answering:)

Yes, a separate thermometer and a hygrometer will definitely help! I fill up one or two smaller cups (just depending on the season, etc.) during incubation (I try to keep the humidity between 35-50%), then fill I up the whole bottom during lockdown (55-75% humidity). That is what works best for me, you will probably have to experiment a little or see what other people say. (I have only hatched quail eggs, but have chicken eggs in the 'bater right now.) I have had bad hatch rates, too, and reducing the humidity during incubation has helped mine--I hope it helps yours, too!

Yes, a separate thermometer and a hygrometer will definitely help! I fill up one or two smaller cups (just depending on the season, etc.) during incubation (I try to keep the humidity between 35-50%), then fill I up the whole bottom during lockdown (55-75% humidity). That is what works best for me, you will probably have to experiment a little or see what other people say. (I have only hatched quail eggs, but have chicken eggs in the 'bater right now.) I have had bad hatch rates, too, and reducing the humidity during incubation has helped mine--I hope it helps yours, too!
Thank you forgour help, hoping you have a successful hatch :)

Hi,
I’m from Spain so sorry for my english I will try to explain what happened the best that i can. Some years ago out of curiosity I wanted to try incubating eggs, so I bought a incubator (janoel 12) and had a successful hatching (5/6 the other being infertile). But when I tried again this year, everything was going great by day 7 in 8/9 eggs i could see development. But day 21 arrived and no one hatched, day 22 one chick hatched. Today is day 24 i have lost hope another chick is going to hatch. I want to try again so I would appreciate some tips on what went wrong to fix it.
https://letsraisechickens.weebly.co...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

Back
Top Bottom