What Went Wrong

BapNGmr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 22, 2011
Help me see where I went wrong please. I lost a RIR hen this afternoon. About three years old.

I'd noticed for the last few days she'd been sitting a lot and today I noticed it seemed like she was straining. She also had missing feathers under her vent and loose stool but she was still eating and drinking a bit.

I decided to treat her for egg binding just in case. I brought her in, gave her a warm bath (she was alert the whole time but mouth breathing a bit), wrapped her in a towel and took her to the garage. I gently put some lubrication at, and just inside her vent, and then unwrapped the towel and put her in a nice dog crate in the garage to rest and monitor. Except she proceeded to lay oddly then flail about, and now she's dead. I handled her gently the whole time. I didn't wrap the towel too tightly or hold her too tightly. I was gentle when putting a little lubrication to help the egg. And now she's gone and I feel terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Can anyone see where I went wrong?

I think that you did all that you could do for her. She may have been egg bound or she could have had an infection. RIP to your hen.

I am very sorry for your loss.

If you didn't feel an egg when you examined her, it's possible she was laying internally.

It sounds like you did what you could and made her comfortable.
hugs.gif

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom