What will be growing in your garden this year?

Hi All,
My family and I try to plant only things that are edible because my 2 girls are only 3 y.o.
Asparagus(third season),Strawberries,blueberries,about 50 kinds of edible herbs,Garlic(planted last fall),Raspberries,Apples,Cherries.Tomatoes,cucumbers,Green peppers,hot peppers,swiss chard,spring greens,sunflowers,peas and green beans,zucchini.
I think that might be it for now.

We are also starting chickens this year and I will see how much they destroy my garden.

I'm still praying for all the snow to melt we still have over a foot left with a fill patches of ground showing through.

Happy Spring,
Ed

Now that I have made a huge run for the "tomato theives", I can actually have a garden!!! That's if the drought backs off and we get rain this year.

Tomatoes, Peppers (red, green, yellow, orange, purple, Jalepeno & habnero) yellow squash, pole beans (green & lima),watermellon, black berries, apples, pears, peaches, strawberries, various herbs & gourds. Plus lots and lots of flowers

i almost forgot my cucumbers, last time i tried was back in germany. I bought one of theose super expensive plants that was put/corked /???? onto a zuchinni or pumpkin for disease resistance. The slugs loved it. I had one cucmber the whole season that got big enough to eat. Cost me 3-4$ the plant.
I might make a herb spiral out of stone and plant some of my favs in it too.
http://www.mitra.biz/howto_herbspiral.htm here is a link on how to make one.

Last edited:
Quote:
The herb spiral looks cool. Right now I have the herbs in the rased bed, as companion plants for the veggies. But DH thinks I should move the herbs so I can grow MORE veggies. Maybe this would be a good compromise... And pretty, too!!

we doubled our garden this year... already in garden peas, onions,carrotts,cabbage, lettuce and potatoes.. then planting corn, greenbeans, limas, yellow, sweet gourmet and eightball squash, jalapeno, pimiento, yellow,red and green bell peppers, tons of tomatoes, cuckes,okra, pumpkin. Strawberries, blackberries and blueberries..
I'm sure there will be more...

Have my herb garden and lots of flower and rose beds...

My Austrian neighbour gave me a tomato plant from the same seeds that have been in his family for 40 years!! And all because I gave his wife some fresh eggs for Easter. It restores my faith in human nature
smile.png
smile.png
I've planted it by my compost bin.

It's difficult to grow veggies where I am cos it's simply too hot in the summer. Last summer was also humid so what was above the ground that didn't burn to a crisp had it's roots cooked underground.

Barb

Quote:
Dont feel bad. Due to my husbands job i could barely do anything the last seven years. We always moved in april-june time and that every other year or we lived in apartments. The year i had a few things (04) Charley came and blew everything away. I just enjoy it so much and over do it because it somewhat takes me back to my childhood.

Tomatoes have been in for a month. Soon will plant assorted peppers, orka, cucumbers,assorted squash and flowers. Just moved here still have lots of land to clear before I can make a real garden this is just temp.

Howdy!
Our garden/flowerbeds/herb garden is pretty insane
big_smile.png
I love to grow things!! We have appx 1700 sq ft garden this year and I canned all summer!! STILL are getting peppers from the summer garden.
smile.png

For Fall, I planted cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, radish, sweet peas, fennel, turnips, cilantro...and uh...think that's it
smile.png

I have an area in the chicken run wired off because the area was a permanent garden last year...I have already moved the strawberry, am am waiting to move the asparagus & horse radish. S for now,
i plant stuff for the birds in there also. sweet peas and mustard greens.
I LOVE being back down here in the South!!! We have 3 to 4 growing seasons and can eat fresh food (so can my babes ;0
) all year!!
I have grown all my life and go all organic...the birds get everything from the garden and kitchen first...then the rest goes to the compost. I also mulch & feed in 3 yr old aged horse manure I get from a local stable....makes a HUGE difference!!!!
For those who lack a lot of water in their area...this year I mulched very heavily in hay...the entire garden...and only watered maybe 4 times from Spring to Oct!!
thumbsup.gif
Hay rocks! Plus, then you can recycle the hay to the chickens and they get all the bugs!
Next year
i will be planting MUCH more of certain things...just for the chickens. Like pumpkins, melons, cucumbers, and greens.
Companion planting works really well also
smile.png
more goods!!

Have fun!!

Kim

Back
Top Bottom