1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What will I get?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Tarryn, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Tarryn

Tarryn New Egg

Sep 23, 2016
    What color would I get if I crossed a black silkie roo and a buff silkie hen? Sorry if this has been answered, I couldn't find anything

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    From playing around with the chicken genetics calculator it seems that black dominates most of the time, so I speculate that you will get black chickens (though if you were to cross some of those back to the buff, or breed them to each other, you would get some buff) but someone may have a better answer.

It will also depend on if either parent is carrying some "hidden" genes. Such as, I have some blue Marans that are from a Wheaten hen, so they carry the wheaten genes.

3. gojira

gojira Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    From crosses of buff and black that I have seen, the offspring tend to be a mixture of buff and black, with no particular pattern. Is there a particular reason you want to do this? I am not sure there is anything to be gained from doing this.

4. Tarryn

Tarryn New Egg

Sep 23, 2016
    No particular reason other than those are the only color silkies I have, and was just curious what they might look like

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    The result will be on all black chicks that will grow to have a lot of gold leakage on the breasts(look at black sexlinks for a similar color pattern).

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I did this and got basically black chicks with gold leakage. Not as much buff came through as I'd hoped for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by