what will red quill/brown red cross give

Kenneth F

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 13, 2012
Dobson, N.C.
If breed my red quill cock to to my brown red hen what will I get in the off spring I also have a golden duck wing to breed with her

Thanks for the help
Kenneth

I have no ideal.
Most of the crosses I've done to brown red resulted in black chicks.
If these are OEG than their genetics may work a little different.

I had a trio of Red Quill Spangled OEG but lost them, to unknown reasons.

Last edited:
I have no ideal.
Most of the crosses I've done to brown red resulted in black chicks.
If these are OEG than their genetics may work a little different.
why would they be any different than any other Brown Red bird? they are gold based Birchen(ER s+)

if the Red Quill is pure for all Red Quill genes I predict Brown Colored Chicks instead of Black chicks as Dark brown(Columbian Restrictor found on Red Quill) will make the black chick down a dark brown chick(thats where the name Dark brown comes from)...

Db will turn the adults into imcomplete Black Tailed Reds, close to Red Quill looks for the roosters.

the name of this color(ER Db S or s+ in your case) is Mealy Grey(when silver based) and Mealy Gold when gold based(just like yours)

this are some of the genotypes found on ER(Birchen)

my Own ER/eWh Db/db+ roo

Quote: Don't know that they would. I'm not too up on genetics. I just base a good guess on crosses made and what I have seen from other crosses.
You're the genetics expert.

Will do I'm almost positive my rooster has a little BBR in his background his legs look more blue than green but I don't know how close it is. I think its around 1/8 everyone seems to be over the molt except a hen or two that was setting I'm gonna try to get lights on a few pair in the next week or so these OEG fowl.

Back
Top Bottom