What will they look like

Boondockfarming

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2018
I have jersey giant hens and 1 Rhode island red rooster and a white maran rooster. I have an egg in the incubator what will the chick come out looking like with the marane rooster.

Interesting question but the white rooster makes it impossible to give you a definitive answer. There are always exceptions to anything in chicken genetics but there are two basic ways to make a solid white chicken. You can have what would be a solid black chicken but it has a dominant white gene. Dominant white turns black feathers white and black is pretty dominant. So if your Marans rooster is pure for black and dominant white you will probably get a white offspring.

The other option is that you have a rooster with two recessive white genes. Recessive white is really powerful when both genes at that gene pair are the recessive genes, it will turn anything white. But if you only have one recessive white gene it has no effect. Any colors/patterns can be hiding under recessive white. Jersey Giant approved colors in the US are white, black, and blue. You did not mention what colors your Jersey Giants are but these are pretty basic.

I will not give you any guarantees but I think the odds of you getting pure white offspring with either dominant or recessive white are pretty high. There is a chance you could get black but it's pretty low. If your Jersey Giant hens are blue you could even see that but not if the hens are black or white instead of blue.

White is a challenging color to work with because there are so many options.

Interesting question but the white rooster makes it impossible to give you a definitive answer. There are always exceptions to anything in chicken genetics but there are two basic ways to make a solid white chicken. You can have what would be a solid black chicken but it has a dominant white gene. Dominant white turns black feathers white and black is pretty dominant. So if your Marans rooster is pure for black and dominant white you will probably get a white offspring.

The other option is that you have a rooster with two recessive white genes. Recessive white is really powerful when both genes at that gene pair are the recessive genes, it will turn anything white. But if you only have one recessive white gene it has no effect. Any colors/patterns can be hiding under recessive white. Jersey Giant approved colors in the US are white, black, and blue. You did not mention what colors your Jersey Giants are but these are pretty basic.

I will not give you any guarantees but I think the odds of you getting pure white offspring with either dominant or recessive white are pretty high. There is a chance you could get black but it's pretty low. If your Jersey Giant hens are blue you could even see that but not if the hens are black or white instead of blue.

White is a challenging color to work with because there are so many options.
Thanks. The jerseys are black.

Please tell me you have more than one egg in the incubator.
I have 2. I know I'm not guaranteed anything but this is my first time hatching the little peeps. And at the time I got my rooster I had already bought 40 chicks. So I'm pretty good on quantity haha. An extra 2 right now is all I need.

I have 2. I know I'm not guaranteed anything but this is my first time hatching the little peeps. And at the time I got my rooster I had already bought 40 chicks. So I'm pretty good on quantity haha. An extra 2 right now is all I need.
Thing is, if only one hatches, it's hard to raise a single chick.

Thing is, if only one hatches, it's hard to raise a single chick.
Well the hatching date is in 2 more days and I have 40, 7 day old chicks. Do you think 9 day old chicks will pick on my new guys?? Why is it hard to raise a single chick?

Why is it hard to raise a single chick?
Because they are flock animals and will be stressed if they have no flock mates.
You might be able to get away with adding 2 new chicks with the 9 day olds,
adding 1 might be tricky tho....best to start them right next to each other but separated by wire....then try adding on older chick with the younger, see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom