1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What would be a good BACKYARD DUCK..other than scovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SamG347, Jan 25, 2009.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Songster

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I love scovys dont get me wrong...but I like the classic look of other duck breeds more. We live on about 2 acres but in a small neighborhood. Is there any breed other than a scovy that is relatively quiet??? My own and the only neighbhor who has ever complained hated my roosters crowing....so not sure he would appreciated ducks always quacking either. I love all poultry sounds and cant wait to move out and get my own place away from this guy. But would like a change up to chickens. And love ducks.
    Thanks! And I really like Welsch Harlequins.....any insight on them?

[​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    There is a WH thread around here somewhere. Duckmonk highly recommends them.

Of my different breeds of ducks, the loudest is my Buff. She likes the sound of her own quack!

3. my ducks quack, they're mallard/swedish mixes, but they're pretty quiet... it's my goose that the neighbors notice ( we have 5 acres)... the goose sounds really carry!

4. SamG347

SamG347 Songster

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    A guy I know locally that has ducks has some 1-2 yeart old Khaki Campbells....I think I might end up getting a trio from him. He lives on half an acre and said his neighbors dont complain.....so maybe they would work for me.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by