What would be an easy beginner goat breed for a total newbie?

Duck Keeper

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
Out in the Boonies
Not that I'm /actually/ planning on getting a goat for now, but I'd like to know for future reference.
tongue.png

pygmy goats. small. don't need milking. don't need brushing or shearing or clipping. don't need much and have nice attitudes. I have a Fainter cross Wether and he is pretty cool too.
Good Luck

Do you want to do anything with your goats? It sounds like you are looking for just pets? If that's correct then I'd agree with the above people - get a pygmy or Nigi (if you get boys). Specifically get two wethers. You need to always have at least two goats to keep each other company - they are very social.

Sounds good.
smile.png

I'll look into these breeds for a while, then maybe someday I'll be able to get a couple! I think using them in a cart would be cool, if somehow I could make my own or something.

Thanks for your advice!

Where are you going to keep your goats? Pygmys and Nigis are great, but if as your signature says you live "Out in the boonies" those little goats are coyote caviar, and you will need to lock them in a barn from dusk till dawn, and construct an awful good fence. Maybe something like a Spanish goat would work for you, they are very hardy, parasite resistant, and if their horns are left on, they can be some what self protecting.

Also, if you are wanting to use a goat as a cart or pack goat you will want a large size breed wether, NOT a small breed. Alpine's make great cart/pack goats. Don't get a Nubian for that .... they are notoriously not good in those areas.

I leafed through a book about goats, and I liked the Alpines and Spanish!
tongue.png

I was thinking of leaving horns on just because it looked cool, but if it actually serves a purpose, that's even better.

Back
Top Bottom