What Would Be Best Recommended!!!

Silkie Chicken

King Silkie
7 Years
Feb 22, 2012
I am wanting to start my silkies on some great quality brand feed but where i live ( WV ) chickens are not shown very often so that means there is not high quality brand feed here. I will probably have to buy feed online so what would be the best recommended great quality feed for bantams/silkies. I am really wanting a feed that will improve there plumage and make white feathers more whiter, Also I am wanting it to have healthy vitamins in it to kinda increase there health. Also if anyone would have a special recipe for show brand chicken feed please post here. I also have an other question about treats, I have been giving my silkies some treats and been letting them out in the field during the day, but the treats that i give them mostly include meal worms, grain, flax seeds, sun flower seeds, and that kind of treats ( kinda the treats they offer on mypetchicken.com ) but are these treats healthy or bad for chickens. And one other thing is i have been wanting to give them some fresh vegis/fruits, what would be best recommended for them. I have also heard that tuna and sorts like this is healthy for chickens, is it healthy for them? Thanks so much and sorry for all the questions but just trying to get my chickens off to a fresh great start for the up coming spring.

~Brannon

I dont think there is any type of feed that will make white chickens whiter, you can buy a blue shampoo and that will help brighten them up. I dont know if there's a Tractor Supply Company in your area but they sell conditioning feeds for show birds. Treats are good for your chickens as long as you're not feeding it to them too much or too often. I'd say dont let more than 5% of their diet come from treats. Fruits and veggies are good in limited amounts but lack the protein chickens need so I would onyl give them some occassionally when you have table scraps.

Ok thanks so much and I will try some poultry condisioners but does anyone else have any good feed ideas??

Back
Top Bottom