What would be the best breed to get JUST for broodieness?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by warmfuzzies, Apr 15, 2009.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I know silkies and OEGB. I have cochins, and I love them. I have one momma that has went broody and now has nine chicks. My other two dont seem that interested.

I also have partridge rocks, which i read were one of the most broody breeds. They also dont seem interested. I really like the standards for mommas, as they can cover more eggs. But will they ever be consistently broody, like I hear about the silkies?

I would like something that can go from raising chicks, after 7 weeks or so, and go right back to sitting. Is it possible?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Brahmas?

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't know if there is one that will leave chicks and go right back to setting, but I have a standard OEG hen that had chicks in September, then again in December, and now has another brood going. She has been sitting for about 6 weeks now, since I put some 'oddball' eggs under her. Plus my little Nugget was donating an egg daily to her nest as well. [​IMG] She has 2 chicks now that are 2-3 days old, and 2 eggs under her. She doesn't seem interested in leaving the 2 eggs, so I'm planning on taking the babies and giving her some more eggs [​IMG] She doesn't look thin or weak, she is just determined. I guess 2 little banty babies just isn't enough for her!
    So if you are wanting a large breed bird that will set eggs year-round, get some OEG hens. There are different sizes, mine is about the same size as a RIR hen [​IMG]

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    My very best broodies have been light Brahmas, and standard dark Cornish. (NOT Cornish X) They go broody from spring through fall, and through this last winter I had 3 who kept trying to brood. I also have Australorps, they brood quite a bit, but not as much as the C.'s and the B's. I have a buff Orpington who's about 6 years old, never went broody once, and I had a bunch of other Orps and they didn't brood either. I think that might depend on the line you get.

5. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I forgot the OEG have a standard size. [​IMG] Thank you all for the great suggestions. I diddnt even know Brahmas were broody! I love them, too.

6. 1Speckled Hen w/Chicks

1Speckled Hen w/Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    NC
    Well=I have never seen more broody hens then that of Cochin Bantams.........
    I have two that have been sitting on invisible eggs forever it seems--
    They get up to eat, etc but then its strictly back to their invisible eggs....and I cant seem to break them--[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  7. sheps4her

sheps4her Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    I have an OEG hen that is always going broody! I also have a mix that does it too. She is broody now as we speak.

8. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    My standard Cornish are so broody I have to keep moving the hens to new pens every few weeks to keep them up and moving/laying. I really like the breed, but my hens are making me crazy.

They are tenacious sitters, and mine have been very good mothers.

9. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I have read that silkies are more broody than others....thats what I have in my bator right now.

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Silkies and Cochins - Standard Cochins can cover quite a few eggs.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by