What would be the best heat source for my homemade incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dsowens15, Jun 28, 2010.

1. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    I am building a homemade incubator 30 inches by 30 inches and 12 inches high. I would like to hear what yall think would be the best and the most cheap heating source? I'm thinking Flex Watt Heat tape?
    Thanks for any suggestions!

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    anything but a lightbulb hooked to a hot water thermostat. This was a disaster. I tried all the advise of how to mount it, front back, next to fan away from fan, vent holes, etc. etc. Could not get this to keep a steady temp after two months of trying. Then I say down and figured how much I had spent on different watt bulbs, wires, nuts, thermometers, electric box, thermostat,etc. and I could have bought a small hovabator brand new.

Best of luck.

3. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    I saw a guy on YouTube use some kind of heat pad in his incubator. Anyone try that?

4. dsowens15

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    Thanks. I had made one a while back and had the same problem with the light and hot water thermostat. Any more suggestions?

5. rthensley

rthensley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2009
    I used this as my heat source and thermostat. Had a friend solder it together. It allows you to add a computer fan (which only runs when the unit is heating).

http://www.mtmscientific.com/incubator.html

Seems to work OK. It is holding an air temp range of around 98 - 102 in my homemade incubator.

My first hatch went pretty well. I set my second bunch of eggs on last Sunday.

6. dsowens15

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    I already have a great Thermostat that I bought for $75 and I had to wire it. I already have it wired to plug in the heat source. I just don't know what to use for the heat source.[​IMG]

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:light bulbs work well you just need a decent t-stat I use a johnson controls t-stat and a couple of light bulbs it works great one incubator has 2-40 watt bulbs 1 has 2 - 60 watt bulbs my latest cabinet bator will start with 4-40 watts and I will play with wattages until I get the heat level right.

8. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I used a lamp kit wired through the hot water heater thermostat, the external air temp did fluctuate between 4 degrees but the internal (inside egg) temp was pretty steady, for an average sized cooler I used a single 40 watt bulb, worked like a charm and I had 100% hatch. The only problem I had was my computer fans kept dying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by