What would BYC recommend...?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AilsVonHelson, Dec 2, 2008.

1. AilsVonHelson

AilsVonHelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    Well, we're at a stand-still... me and my friend are gonna start new breeding project next year and we wanna know which chickens we wanna do it. (mind you guys, each breed off chicken is a different breeding project, it's not all one big one. [​IMG])

The choices we have are-

Dutch (She'd be getting a light brown male from ideal, I'd be getting a porcelain female.)

Sebrights (We would both be getting silvers)

P.S: These birds would be living in our high school's agriculture program, so please keep this in mind. If you guys can recommend any other breeds (clean legged,please!), feel free to send me a private message here, and me and my friend will discuss these other breeds.

Thanks~

--Gabby

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I love Buff Orpington's. They are friendly, beautiful, good layers, winter hardy. There is nothing to NOT like about them.

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Dutch and seabright roo's have a reputation for being NASTY. There's always ecceptions, but just so you know... Are you doing a breeding project just to make more chicks or to produce show quality chickens? I wouldn't recommend getting them from hatcheries, but the choice is yours!

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I miss my buff orpingtons. Sweet gently giants

5. AilsVonHelson

AilsVonHelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    Hmmm, BO's don't really have the feather type we want.

I knew sebrights were bad pets (but my friend didn't wanna admit it!) But I'm surprised to know Dutch roo's are bad temperaments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by