1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What would cause an egg to explode?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dmdhart, May 19, 2010.

1. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    I have a bunch of eggs in the incubator, they've been there for 2 weeks now. I went to turn them and one of the eggs exploded! What an awful smell. It looked like it had developed partially. What would cause such an awful thing?

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Old eggs will do that
    You can only store them so long before they ruin thats usually what causes that in my experience

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    rotten eggs do that. the gases from it build and build and the eggs explode

4. dmdhart

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    How long can you keep them before putting them in the incubator and at what temperature?

5. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Alos, was it cracked or damaged in any way? That will let the bacteria in and you have just cooked the egg to ultimate grossness

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I actually keep mine on in egg cartons at or below 70 degrees for no more than 7 days but know people who keep them longer in controled cooler enviroment that stay good for 2 weeks

7. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I've let mine sit on the counter for over 3 weeks with no issues. But, I put in a bunch just last week that were no more than 3 days old and I got a rotten one by day 10. It's bacteria entering the egg and developing until it weeps then explodes.

8. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    It's when the bacteria gets into them. I just had 3 unfertilized eggs that were in the incubator till lockdown and nothing happened, so it doens't happen all the time.

9. dmdhart

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    The egg was less than a week old, but it was one that felt gritty to the touch. I guess I won't put any of them in the incubator again. Will it exploding affect the other eggs?

10. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    It might if you left it in there too long

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by